how load balancing will work

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

datastagehunter
Participant

how load balancing will work

Post by datastagehunter »

Any body have idea about load balancing ,like we have four datastage servers in production environment ,I want to know how load balancing thing work when it has to apply more than one datastage server and how load balance will share the request which is coming from RTI(Real time integration) and webspere admin console
Thanks
hi
i want to learn datastage which was use ful for emprove my skills
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You can set up N instances of an always-running job. The web services will simply allocate any of the "free" resources. There is no more control than that, certainly no active load balancing.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Old topic, but interesting subject.

RTI has several tools for achieving scalability and failover. As Ray notes, you can set up "n" instances of a job/Operation at one particular DS Server, thus having a set of "always on" jobs waiting to handle incoming requests.

Secondly, you can also have a set of individual DataStage Servers, each running _the_same_ DataStage Job/Operation, and RTI will perform workload balancing by dispatching requests alternatively to each of those attached DS Servers. Depending on the release, you may have a response time based algorithm for this workload balancing, or round robin. In 8.0, you will have a choice.

Perhaps more importantly, this sets up an active/active scenario for ensuring service levels for your web services deployed via RTI. If one of those DS Servers goes down, or the network to it dies, RTI will correctly dispatch arriving requests to one of the alternates.

Ernie