Installing Datastage (Windows) on a SAN drive - is it possib

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Installing Datastage (Windows) on a SAN drive - is it possib

Post by ecclesr »

For a disaster Recovery project we have been asked to install DataStage on to a SAN drive.

A team member tried - and the result is that the Datastage installation software will not allow installion of the server software to a network drive (i.e. it will only accept a local drive.)

Is there anyway around this - Has anyone managed to do this - if so what different steps are required during the installation

Thanking you all in advance
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It works for us. Not sure why.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage is documented as not being able to be installed on a symbolic link. It must therefore depend on the relationship between the DataStage server machine and the SAN; how SAN-disk "file systems" are mounted on the UNIX machine. It may prove completely impossible. This still does not preclude accessing data on SAN disks, which may be to what Kim was referring.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Re: Installing Datastage (Windows) on a SAN drive - is it po

Post by shawn_ramsey »

ecclesr wrote:For a disaster Recovery project we have been asked to install DataStage on to a SAN drive.

A team member tried - and the result is that the Datastage installation software will not allow installion of the server software to a network drive (i.e. it will only accept a local drive.)

Is there anyway around this - Has anyone managed to do this - if so what different steps are required during the installation

This sounds like a NAS not a SAN. There is a big difference.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
ecclesr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ecclesr »

I will speak to the required Disaster recovery team tomorrow - The lastest I have heard we may have a NAS/SAN combination if that is possbile.

I will post tomorrow

Kim can you please expand of your implementation steps

kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think Ray is correct. The SAN mounts as a local drive to our Windows servers. So it is not an issue.The drive is owned by one server and other servers which access this area of the SAN are read only or accessing it through the server which owns it.
Mamu Kim