Unread Posts

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Unread Posts

Post by ray.wurlod »

When one opens DSXchange, unread posts are highlighted using a different colour. However, if one has to leave before reading the 150 or so posts that seem to come in each day, there is no easy way to determine which remain unread.

With that volume of posts it's almost impossible to leave - one finishes the parallel forum then does the server forum. Once done there there are more posts on the parallel forum. Once done there more posts have shown up on the server forum!

Is it possible to have an option (perhaps set in the profile) to keep unread posts showing up as unread?

I know there are two shades of blue, but I'd prefer something more obvious.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

That would be helpful :lol:

How about a Search button, something like show me all posts I haven't read since a certain date?

Also, how about a Search button, something like show me all posts that haven't had a response since a certain date? Sometimes a post falls thru the cracks, there's no easy way to find them.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Guys

I doubt if they can store which ones we have read. Too many combinations. All this query is doing is > last connect time. Last connect is stored once for each of us. I think you are asking for something impossible.
Mamu Kim
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Doesn't hurt to ask :wink: Don't let me hijack Ray's original post. I think the motivation comes from learning what makes answering questions a little difficult. I know when I see 500 unread messages after a 2 day lapse I feel daunted.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I agree but we may need more categories whether we like it or not. Got to train more people to use the correct category. I try to ignore categories and topics that I know others will answer better. Hester seems to answer crc32 questions and a few others. That is cool. I avoid date questions, PX, TX, MetaStage, specific stage types I do not use regularly and others. I avoid questions which searching can find many answers. Let others tell them to search first.

I hate our category names too. I think a general category should be first that way when they pick wrong hopefully it goes into it first category. The 2 FAQ categories should be inner circle only. The dumbest questions seemed to get posted there. The top posters need to answer what is or is not a FAQ. Maybe all FAQs should be available to non-charter users.

I think until we get a file download area then it will get worse. We could have job examples for each stage type in the downloads. The same for routines. Give them examples on how to use all the routines in the SDK and ones we create. The downloads should be in categories and not like ADN. Their categories are not specific enough.

I think Ray is correct in that lots of others are answering questions which help. Their answers are very complete too. Ray does not seem to correct them as much as he used to.

I think maybe if we sorted the unread messages into categories it would be easier to focus on the questions we do want to read.
Mamu Kim