RSS feed ?

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

AndrewWebbUK
Participant

RSS feed ?

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

any chance of adding RSS to the forum (this would allow RSS aggregators or tools like Trillian to pop up when a new post was made..)

coudl be a little easier for us that dont always have the time to watch the forums...

the same could be done for the main page as well for new and updates...
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

I think this is something we will try to do very soon in the future. Implementation will be relatively simple.

What do you think the potential value of something like this would be?
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Walter

Looks just like you. Very cool.

Kim.
Mamu Kim
AndrewWebbUK
Participant

Post by AndrewWebbUK »

whardeman wrote:I think this is something we will try to do very soon in the future. Implementation will be relatively simple.

What do you think the potential value of something like this would be?
take a look at the forums at www.tabletpcbuzz.com they are RSS enabled... it means that i dont have to visit the site everyone to see whats new in the forums... i get a pop up in trillian (my messaging client) when someone posts something new and if its interesting... i go visit the forum (by clicking against the popup) and read it...

of course at weekends I tend to browse more.. but during the weekdays its easier to keep an eye on things.. without really having to..
Andrew Webb
Principal SE Ascential UK

www.ascential.com
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

Since no one else is chiming in on this, I'll continue to pick your brain:

I think we could run a feed based on posts made within the last X amount of time. What amount of time would you recommend? An hour? 30 min?

Walter
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

whardeman wrote:Since no one else is chiming in on this, I'll continue to pick your brain:

I think we could run a feed based on posts made within the last X amount of time. What amount of time would you recommend? An hour? 30 min?

Walter
The less frequent, the better for you. Bandwidth demands are pretty nasty with badly configurated RSS feeds (as Joel (JoelOnSoftware.com) would note). I wonders if it's possible to parameterize that option though.

-T.J.
Developer of DataStage Parallel Engine (Orchestrate).
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

Teej,

Thanks for your input. :D
Teej wrote:The less frequent, the better for you. Bandwidth demands are pretty nasty with badly configurated RSS feeds.
The particular feed generator I'm working with would produce the xml on demand instead of a continuous refresh (i think that's what you meant). Each request of the page would run a quick query to find the most recent posts.

The only thing a shorter history of posts (30 min old instead of say 1 hour old) would reduce the number of items generated in the feed.

I suppose the only way to know the bandwidth demand is to put it out there and let people starting tapping it.

Walter
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster
whardeman

Post by whardeman »

The feed is now available to the community. The full notice is here:
viewtopic.php?p=96251#96251

Walter
Walter Hardeman
Webmaster