Generic Stage in FastTrack generated job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

perspicax
Premium Member
Premium Member

Generic Stage in FastTrack generated job

Post by perspicax »

There is job that I generated from Fasttrack. The job doesn't have much transformers except for few (4) lookups from dimension tables. The job that is generated looks as follows and seem like will save time and manual work.

Src Tbl > LookupContainer001 > Transformer > MappingContainer > Target

LookupContainer has all the lookups and filters. Transformer has few transformations implemented in the fasttrack design and most of the columns are a pass through. The problem is with a MappingContainer. Inside the mapping container there is a generic stage and documentation under 'Todos". The mapping container looks as follows

input > Generic001 > Output

Under Properties of Generic stage, the generic stage is expecting a value for Operator. Is there a value that I can supply to get a behavior of a Copy Stage and pass through all the columns from input to output?

Thanks
perspicax
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by perspicax »

Is there a way to model generic stage as copy stage? Sorry I am not too familiar with orchestrate scripts. Is there a documentation with examples? I could not figure this out from advanced developer guide
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

You can replace the Generic stage with the Copy stage or any other stage required for job completion. The Generic is just a placeholder.

FastTrack provides a starting point, but you are expected to take the beginning job and add to it and modify it as required.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
perspicax
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by perspicax »

Thank you for the response. That is what I ended up doing. The only issue is that it breaks the mapping in the copy stage which was already taken care in the generic stage. The mapping breaks because the column names in target is different from source columns due to the naming standards. Auto match do not work and requires manually recreating the mapping in the copy stage.

I do not know a way to replace generic stage with copy stage without breaking the mapping. Is there a way to do it?
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

You can retain the metadata on the input and output links, and temporarily keep a copy of the generic stage for a reference in case it has additional details.

1) Right click on the Generic Stage and copy it, then paste it back into an empty spot on the canvas. That should place it there with its input and output links so you can check back on it later.

2) Carefully detach the input and output links from their connections to the original Generica Stage. This means disconnecting them by dragging them off the stage, not deleting them!

3) Delete the original (now disconnected) Generic Stage

4) Drop the replacement stage where the old Generic Stage was, and reconnect the input and output links.

5) Correct the replacement stage, referring to the copied Generic Stage as required.

6) Delete the copied Generic Stage and its links when done.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
perspicax
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by perspicax »

Thank you for suggesting the work around. That was helpful. FT seems to be a great tool to quickly develop DS jobs