IA-Column Analysis-Incorrect inferred results for a column

This forum contains ProfileStage posts and now focuses at newer versions Infosphere Information Analyzer.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

FYI - site has been a bit cranky lately, finally able to get in and reply. Also fixed your links so they work now. Neither seems to apply here and the second one notes "Issue is fixed with APAR JR56739 and is delivered with Governance Rollup5" in 2016. If you haven't already, open a case with your official support provider to check.

Never used this tool but going to make an educated guess based on general sequential file metadata handling across the suite. From what I recall - if what it sees during the import looks like a small string, it will treat it as a CHAR rather than a VARCHAR and you'll get the STRING(255) you are seeing... and it only looks at a handful of records to decide what to do. Are your longer values in ALL records or only some records? If the latter, I'd import one where they were right up front and if you don't have one like that, engineer one.

As a general statement, I'm not sure why you can't "edit the defined metadata" if it's not correct. We had to do that all the time when the import didn't get it quite right, be it flat files or Oracle tables or whatever. A people will always be better at inferring metadata than some silly program. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
stuartjvnorton
Participant

Post by stuartjvnorton »

Out of curiosity, what is the maximum length of the actual data in your field?
dwh_user
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: IA-Column Analysis-Incorrect inferred results for a colu

Post by dwh_user »

The maximum length of the string in the field was around 3000.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

All strings in delimited text files are reported as length 255, unless you change that fact in QETXT.INI. And that, curiously, limits what can be inferred. I agree that it shouldn't.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.