Orphan and defunct processes are left by InfoSphereDataStage

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ramkrish2801
Participant

Orphan and defunct processes are left by InfoSphereDataStage

Post by Ramkrish2801 »

Hi All,
I am facing the same issue as seen here.

I am using Windows OS and AIX server ,I have also added below user-defined properties:
DSForceTerminate=1
DSWaitShutdown=60 .

But still the defunct process are being created more than 300 daily and got removed after 2 hours.

kindly help me out how to stop that and any other ways to solve this issue...?

Any help can be appreciated...

Thanks,
Ram
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

we only ever get them when a job crashes hard and leaves a thread outstanding. I would advise focus on finding out why you have such a high number of them -- see if its one or three or whatever small # of specific jobs doing most of it, maybe -- and work it from that angle. I don't know if this can be a symptom of an overloaded server, or something like that...?
Ramkrish2801
Participant

Post by Ramkrish2801 »

Hi bro,

Thanks for your great help.I started finding how it s created that much count from job level as you advised....But i cannot able to find how the defunct process or parent/child process defined or works based on job level..

Kindly can you advise me on this how can I debug from job level...

Thanks,
Ram
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Orphan and defunct processes are left by InfoSphereDataS

Post by chulett »

Ramkrish2801 wrote:Note: I have also posted this issue freshly under the topic "Orphan and defunct processes are left by InfoSphere DataStage but i didnt got any response yet.
I let this play out for a little but that's not a reason to go jump on an old post, so I've moved you back into your own conversation. Also deleted the one with no replies. Best advice would be to simply reply to your own post to bump it back up to the top and, if you find a relevant old post, link to it like I did above.

If you are having problems associating the zombie/defunct processes with the jobs causing them (are jobs crashing or just leaving these behind?) involve your official support provider while you work on it here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: Orphan and defunct processes are left by InfoSphereDataS

Post by chulett »

Ramkrish2801 wrote:I am using Windows OS and AIX server
Sorry, just noticed this. Everyone is using Windows for their clients so there's no need to mention that if that's what you meant. The OS tag when you start a post is meant for the operating system of your server(s). Keep that in mind when searching as the post you found was for Windows servers, hence the conversation around the MKS Toolkit and the issues that it brought to the table. FYI. So AIX tuning / kernel parameters or capacity could be part of your problem here.

Other thoughts... how long has this problem been going on? Meaning, have you been running jobs just fine for some time and then suddenly this started happening, or this is a new server and you've been fighting this since it was stood up? That answer can help narrow down where you go to start looking for the why behind all this... this rather than at the "job level", although that could certainly be a factor.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers