ESX VMware backups

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

thompsonp
Premium Member
Premium Member

ESX VMware backups

Post by thompsonp »

Our company standard for VMs is for daily incremental snapshot backups and full weekly backups but we are seeing intermittent job failures when the backup runs.
Jobs either abort or hang.

The v11.5 Information Server documentation describes backing up an installation and states that no jobs should be running and services should be stopped.

Does anyone have experience of backing up a VM without having to stop DataStage jobs and services?

Is it possible to backup some parts of the file system whilst DataStage is running without affecting running jobs?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I really can't answer your question but thought I would chime in. Seems to me, the question isn't so much about backup up a system with running jobs / services (VM or not) but does anyone have any experience trying to restore such a backup? I wonder what kind of shape things would be in. Obviously, better than it would be without a backup but still. Hoping people with actual, relevant experience will share their knowledge. :wink:

Don't see why it wouldn't be possible to back up "around" DataStage, but again it's not anything I can speak directly to, having been away from the product for so very long. I would imagine excluding where it is installed and perhaps the scratch/tmp space as well? But that wouldn't be much help getting DataStage restored in the event of an outage or storage failure. Out of curiosity, what kind of abort errors do you see while backing up with jobs running?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers