Batch jobs restartability

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Naveen
Premium Member
Premium Member

Batch jobs restartability

Post by Naveen »

Hi,

I have an existing batch job which has about 200 jobs inside it. Currently, these jobs doesn't support restartability. I would like to know if there is any utility available to make this batch job restartable so that it will be restarted from the point where it got failed like a job sequence. Please suggest. Also i would like to know is there any utility available to convert the batch job to job sequence if the restartability is not possible through batch job. Please advise.

Thanks
Naveen
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Just so we're all on the same page, you might want to explain exactly what you mean by a "batch job"... job control code that you've written in BASIC?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Naveen
Premium Member
Premium Member

RE: Batch jobs restartability

Post by Naveen »

Yes Chulett. The batch job is the one having Job Control code written in BASIC.

Thanks
Naveen
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Okay. Well, all things are possible with your own Job Control code, you just have to learn how to code them. First off, is there some specific reason this isn't a Sequence job? If it was, then all of that restartability would be just a checkbox away. And no, I've never seen anything to automatically create one. That would fall on you, I'm afraid.

That being said, you could certainly build your own version of checkpoints into your job control, as worst case something simple based on a passed in restart point argument, perhaps? Another option would be to look at a Sequence job with that option enabled and emulate how it does it... from what I recall it's all there for the taking on the Job Control tab of a Sequence job. Just depends on how much time you want to spend making it as robust as possible, it seems to me.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There is no conversion tool.

Batch jobs have "::" in their names, and are subject to certain restrictions.

You can replace the batch job with a sequence job, which will solve your problem immediately.

Or you can figure out how to edit the Job Control routine (I can't recall whether the code in a Batch is editable).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.