ODBC Connector Value file issues

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rhans
Participant

ODBC Connector Value file issues

Post by rhans »

Hi guys,

I am new to DS and a very fundamental question. The value file has the option to enter database name, user name and password. But, where do we specific the server name ? Where can i check how it reads this information...which file ?
Last edited by rhans on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Welcome aboard.

First, you'd have to post the actual error message(s) from your log before someone could do much more than guess. Secondly, as to the other questions, just wanted to point out that a "values file" doesn't hold anything but strings and those strings can be anything you need them to be, parameter wise. Meaning, there's no restriction on it needing to be a database name, or user-id or anything else.

What stage are you using to connect to a database that has you asking these questions? Different ones have different configuration requirements so if you can give specifics of the stage and database, again people can give you more targeted answers.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rhans
Participant

Post by rhans »

I am using ODBC.
Last edited by rhans on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... the ODBC Connector stage? Don't recall if that was available back in version 9, hence the question.
-craig

rhans
Participant

Post by rhans »

delete
Last edited by rhans on Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

This may not help with your error, but hopefully to answer your first question...

If you are using ODBC, then the database server name (host name) or its IP address would be stored in the .odbc.ini file which is usually located under the $DSHOME directory on your DataStage server.

Telnet or ssh to get a command line on the server. If you can login as dsadm or the administrative user, that may not be necessary but may help ensure that the environment variables are already set. The default server engine path is /opt/IBM/InformationServer/Server/DSEngine and it is common to use a different path too. Run the echo $DSHOME command to what that path is on your server.

Really, the ODBC config file could be anywhere, and now that I think about it, echo $ODBCINI is the most appropriate command to locate the file you need to view.

Go there, then cat .odbc.ini to view the file. Look for a section beginning with your data source name in square brackets. Below that look for "IpAddress=" to see how it was setup. Special characters, typos, or trailing spaces will tend to cause problems.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for the assist! While I recalled that it was part of the ODBC entry, I hadn't taken the time to look up and record all of the gory details. Hence the non-mention. Now I can scratch that off my ToDo List. :wink:
-craig

rhans
Participant

Post by rhans »

Thanks. Do you think value file is impacted by ODBC.ini. Is there any connection between value file and odbc.ini ?
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Suppose you have a parameter, and it can be any type of parameter that provides a value for your ODBC data source name, and you have referenced it in the ODBC Connector stage.

When you run the job, DataStage will take the value and via the drivers will go read the .odbc.ini file located at the $ODBCINI location, and it will be looking to find that data source name in the header section at the top of the file as well as the detail section later in the file where all the connection attributes are defined.

The data source name value may be case sensitive (I don't recall now). Any mismatch along the way will cause an error.

If you want to narrow down where the problem is then try hard-coding the data source name into the stage, compile, and run.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius