XML Out of String Space

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

irvinew
Participant

XML Out of String Space

Post by irvinew »

I have hit a wall.

It is a very simple job, which is supposed to parse xml

The newest problem is that now I get errors:

1) Out of String space when you save

2) Error message:
Error calling subroutine: *DataStage*DSR.ADMIN (Action=36); check DataStage is set up correctly in project ETL_TEST_PROJECT_WI

(The connection is broken (81002))

I think I shouldn't have to jump through hoops for a simple job reading a few columns from an xml file; any ideas why the server is running out of memory somehow?

The CPU gets very easily bogged down in Datastage I find; currently it is in the mid 20's. I have to assume something in the job is making Datstage work far harder than it is; or perhaps a setting in the datastage config file; whatever that means can't handle the very simple job I am trying to make go
Will
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

So... "when you save" meaning the error is thrown when working with it in the Designer? Or based on the "make it go" comment, does this happen when you try to run it? As a general question, do you have other jobs that run (or save) fine and there's only a problem with this particular one or is this part of a larger problem?

Just trying to get an idea of the scope.

Oh, and how large is this XML file you are trying to process? It all has to get loaded and parsed to find your few columns...
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Is your DataStage engine running on "UNIX" as listed? The "Out of String Space" is more indicative of Windows. Where or when are you seeing the error message - could it be a Client issue?
irvinew
Participant

Post by irvinew »

Sorry for the late reply; I found my work around.

The testfile generated in the parser step seemed to bog the system down; I found a workaround by first generating a sample XSD file then a test file from that to test the Main XSD document. If I left it blank it also worked.

Question is; why would it bung up with that test generated file in there? I have my source file that it is trying to parse; why would it care? Unless you "have" to delete the test documents out or else by IBM design it fails.

My colleague suggested my source XSD documents perhaps may be too complex for Datastage to work with cleanly; I did have to reverse engineer the file in order for Datastage to drill down into the XSD document. He suggested whatever Datastage is doing; it is consuming too much memory because of the design of the XSD document that I am trying to work with.

Thanks for your help
Will