Altenate way of parameter passing to a sequence job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

nibumathewbabu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Altenate way of parameter passing to a sequence job

Post by nibumathewbabu »

I have a requirement,currently there is an audit mechanism in place which uses a single ETL Audit table for capturing the counts ,filename,path,rej path,table name etc.

All above param values are hard coded into the Audit insert sequence job (which resides in the main sequence job);Now the requirement is with out disturbing much the current ETL audit mechanism, the parameters should be passed in some other way to job(Should not be hard coded);

I know the easiest way is to create user defined variables in admin level since there are 15 jobs around 60 variables i need to create in admin level which is not viable solution(filename,table name,invocation id etc)

Can some one help to suggest any alternate cost effective way to handle this scenario with our much disturbing existing job design
Thanks
Nibu Mathew Babu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Anything downstream (and connected to) the audit sequence's Job activity should have access to its parameters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
nibumathewbabu
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by nibumathewbabu »

I did not understand the point you told

the ask is is there any way to pass parameters into sequence with out hard coding and not much disturbing existing sequence
Thanks
Nibu Mathew Babu
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm curious to understand what you consider "hard coding" as we've seen some interesting thoughts on that over the years. And to pass anything into the Sequence directly, you'll need to add Job Parameter entries to it. The only other process I could see would be a new step early in the job that reads in the contents of a "parameter file" and thus makes them available to anything downstream of it as Ray noted, for example a User Variables stage. Only a minor disturbance. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
wpkalsow
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by wpkalsow »

You can use command line parameters or are you looking for something like using a parameter file?

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21578165
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

nibumathewbabu wrote:I did not understand the point you told
To put it another way, the functionality you seek already exists in the sequence job. If there is an upstream routine, both its input arguments and its output result are available to downstream activities.
You may have been misled by my reference to jobs. The values passed to Job activity parameters are not available downstream as properties of the Job activity itself; but by deriving them upstream of that, say as sequence parameters or in user variables, then you can have them effectively globally available.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.