ORA-28040:No matching authentication protocol on Oracle 12.2

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

JITeam
Premium Member
Premium Member

ORA-28040:No matching authentication protocol on Oracle 12.2

Post by JITeam »

We are using DRS plugin in our DataStage 11.3.1 jobs to connect to Oracle databases with odbc DSNs. These jobs are working fine with Oracle 12.1 version.

But when we upgrade to Oracle 12.2 version these jobs are aborting with "ORA-28040: No matching authentication protocol" error.

As per the progress link (https://www.progress.com/odbc/release-h ... abase-odbc), I Even tried installing the most recent version (07.16.0325 (B0373, U0246))of DataDirect ODBC drivers which was certified with Oracle 12.2.

But even then I am getting the same error. Did anyone face the same issue Could any one help me in fixing this.

I know one option of changing the settings on Oracle DB server side to allow the SQL Authentication for lower versions which I don't want to go as it will have security risks associated with it.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: ORA-28040:No matching authentication protocol on Oracle

Post by chulett »

JITeam wrote:We are using DRS plugin in our DataStage 11.3.1 jobs to connect to Oracle databases with odbc DSNs.
Sorry to go a little off topic here but... why? Why not native connectivity?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JITeam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JITeam »

Thanks for the reply Chulett.

This is a legacy code which is coming from years (from 7.5.2 days) which contains DRS plugins all over the code and almost present in every job .The reason they used DRS plugin at that time was to use the same jobs with any DataBase (Oracle, DB2, SQL Server) by simply changing the environment variables.

And we don't want to change that plugin as it will cost us a lot in terms of effort. We tried to use the plugin migration tool given by IBM to replace with DRS connector, but is not doing 100% migration and also manually need to make changes and also all features of DRS plugin are not available.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Okay, understood. Wasn't sure from your post how deeply entrenched you were in that stage... pretty darn deep, it would seem. I'm aware of the reasons why someone might choose to use the DRS stage, just don't recall hearing of one where they did so and then later actually took advantage of its 'any database' switching option. :wink:

Back on topic, any luck with your issue? Have you involved your official support provider yet to see what options are available? Sounds like you've already seen the SQLNET.ALLOWED_LOGON_VERSION one mentioned here.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
JITeam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by JITeam »

Yes I involved official support and they are working on it. Will update here once we are able to fix it. Thanks for your time :)