Server Manager - Package Deployment

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PeteM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Server Manager - Package Deployment

Post by PeteM »

When creating a package from multiple source projects, is it possible to deploy the jobs in the package to the same named projects in the target environment?

An initial look at the supporting documentation implies you have to deploy the package into one target project. This would then require splitting the jobs out of this project into the projects that reflect the source environment.
Thanks
PeteM
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

I haven't tried this, but I believe you would need to use a command line migration instead of the GUI for this. I think it would work that way, but I am not 100% sure.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Just as an FYI... you posted this same question on Friday, which I moved to the General forum. I will be moving this one as well - since it has been replied to - and will be removing the first one. Again, just an FYI.

Carry on.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
PeteM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PeteM »

DSTOOLS is executed 'under the covers' by server manager. Are you implying that there is an option in the DSTOOLS CLI that allows the jobs to be deployed into the projects that reflect the source project structure?
Thanks
PeteM
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Pete, maybe I'm confused, but I ask respectfully if with exasperation why the heck you'd want to put objects from more than one project in the same package?

The assumption here is that you are using the isx format for your exports. The dsx format is very clear in the first headers, that the objects contained in the file are for one specific project. I don't know that about isx, but it would surprise me that the isx is not similarly constructed.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
PeteM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PeteM »

We are trying to move to a simpler release based approach for our deployments; one package for the whole release.

Previously we used the DS import/export utilities, but have moved to using server manager (DSTOOLS).

The complication is that for a given release, a number of DS projects may have been updated with new/amended jobs. Our DS project structure reflects logical components of our target solution; a release may change number of logical components; therefore, update a number of DS projects.

We adhere to the same project structure throughout our route to live environments.
Thanks
PeteM