Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Live Chat using Slack

Post by jackson.eyton »

Hello everyone,
I am fairly new here and I would like to take a minute to introduce myself. My name is Jackson Eyton, I am pretty new to IBM's InfoSphere suite. I work at a bank in the datawarehouse department as an ETL developer. I started here about 60 days ago and I feel like I am catching on fairly well, in no short part due to this forum! I am still what kids these days would call a n00b, wait... I'm only 30. Coming to this company was a slight career shift for me, I've worked in the IT industry in a professional manner since 2005 prior to this. I have no college degree and I started at the bottom as a general PC technician. I was with my previous company for 6 years and went from being a teir II engineer to being one of 4 managers of their entire internal IT infrastructure, their only developer, and their dedicated professional with a line of business remote management suite called ConnectWise Automate (LabTech). This tool was pretty unique and had a decent learning curve to it, much like I see with the InfoSphere suite. This brings me to one point I have for this post, the most important thing that helped me and that company as a whole move forward with that tool, was the community of other businesses and users of that tool. Once we discovered and became a rooted part of that online community we were able to learn, adjust, and share so much about that software and contributed to others doing the same. That community had an online forum, much like we have here, we also had what is called a Slack channel. This is a group based chat platform, originally we were using IRC so when we set up the slack channel it was important not to exclude those still using IRC, and Slack is extensible enough that we were able to integrate the two. I bring all this up because I have created a slack channel for IBM InfoSphere, that being said, I gave you my background so that you might have a little understanding of who I am and what interest and use Slack might be, most notably I do not wish to step on the toes of anyone here. I believe the Slack chat platform and the forums are co-beneficiary.

If this is allowed, I would like to invite anyone to the Slack channel here:
<removed pending approval>

Moderators, if you would like to reach out to me to discuss this and its future I would be more than happy to, as well as any moderation policies and management that you guys already have in place.
-Me
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Jackson,

I've saved off your URL for the moment as (AFAIK) the site owner hasn't allowed things of this nature here before. I'd suggest you ping him, his name is Dennis James and if you read any of the sticky posts regarding "Premium Membership Issues" his preferred method of contact is mentioned in them.

Thanks.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jackson.eyton
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jackson.eyton »

Understood, thank you!
-Me