NLS Configuration - Oracle character set to '?'

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

What are the NLS settings for Oracle? Have you mapped these in DataStage?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
joycerecacho
Participant

Post by joycerecacho »

ray.wurlod wrote:What are the NLS settings for Oracle? Have you mapped these in DataStage? ...
Any idea, guys?
Where do I need to set to extract exactly the source characters, without replace some special chars by '?' ?

I tried to set NLS options at the Administrator (Paralllel Maps): UTF-16, UTF-8, ISO-8859-10, ISO-8859-1 but none of them worked.

Any tip?

Thanks in advance.
Joyce A. Recacho
São Paulo/SP
Brazil
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

When I am extracting from Oracle, I usually find it is sufficient to take the Oracle database's NLS_LANG value and set the same thing as an environment variable at the DataStage project level in the DataStage Administrator project settings' Environment.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

We don't set any existing environment variable; we add a new one named NLS_LANG and give it a default value that matches the same NLS_LANG value reported by Oracle.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
joycerecacho
Participant

Post by joycerecacho »

At the result, we have NLS_LANGUAGE = 'BRAZILIAN PORTUGUESE'.

Do you mean set the new environment variable with this content?
Joyce A. Recacho
São Paulo/SP
Brazil