Import of datastage jobs

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

PeteM
Premium Member
Premium Member

Import of datastage jobs

Post by PeteM »

What is the quickest way to export and import datastage jobs?

I'm aware of ISTOOLS and the standard DSX export/import utilities.

Which is the quickest?
Thanks
PeteM
UCDI
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by UCDI »

It depends?

I think ISTOOL is best for large groups of jobs in different folders, but it can be a pain to type folder paths and job names / masks if those are long and complex in your conventions.

The GUI tool (server manager) is slow because its a gui (clicking is usually slower than typing) but here again it depends -- if all the jobs are in one single repository folder, you can grab that really, really fast. Server manager also lets you drop the package to your local machine if you wanted a backup (I am not sure if ISTOOL can do that or not).

Import and export directly from designer is very fast for one job or a job and all its dependent items. It is not very good for multiple jobs that are unrelated. HOWEVER you can drag and drop all your jobs to a new sequence job and export THAT very efficiently.

A combination of the tools can work nice also -- you can pull names and paths out of the gui tools to paste into ISTOOL console.

ISTOOl seems to copy the actual jobs faster than the other methods. So far I was answering human effort, not computer time. If you have a gigantic thing to do and want it moved fast, ISTOOL all the way.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I think SPEED is not the correct perspective to take.

I believe convenience is.

What are you planning to do with the extract?

The Unix side istool lends itself VERY well to being incorporated into an automated code deployment mechanism. It ties in to any script you want to write to plop that isx file into an external source control system.

SPEED is a secondary concern over FUNCTIONALITY.

You will have a harder time automating a dsx file process. Sadly the datastage designer application does not deal with isx file formats (shortcoming IMHO).