Chinese/Japanese - View Data issue in Datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

senthilt1
Participant

Chinese/Japanese - View Data issue in Datastage

Post by senthilt1 »

Hi Team,

Currently I am working on the POC to read/Write the Chinese/Japanese data from oracle table into the Target Oracle/Teradata Table and Seq File using the datastage jobs.

Source data in oracle looks good and the target data in Oracle/Teradata table also looks good. The Target file while viewing it from unix looks good.

But while i view the data in datastage either in Oracle or in seq file, the data is displayed with question mark chars '????'

Here is my NLS setting details:

Oracle:
NLS_LANGUAGE: AMERICAN
NLS_CHARCTERSET: AL32UTF8
NLS_NCHAR_CHARACTERSET: AL16UTF16

Datastage:(from log file, environment variables)
NLS_LANG: AMERICAN_AMERICA.AL32UTF8
LANG: en_US.UTF-8

Also by reading several of similar post in DSxchange, i changed the NLS setting in datastage job properties with JIS/SHIFT_JIS with NLS Locale as PROJECT OFF and ja_jp. but still am not able to view the data from datastage. Also i tried to give Unicode at column level still the same results.

Kindly help me on what settings do i need to make,to view the chinese/japanese characters from datastage.

Appreciate you help in Advance.

Thank You,

Senthil
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

I believe...

You will need to modify the character set on your WINDOWS client to be able to show the characters.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That is my understanding as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
senthilt1
Participant

Post by senthilt1 »

Thanks for the Update.

I tried to update my machine language setting(control Panel) to Japanese and Chinese, still the issue persists. But I noted that "Language for NonUnicode Programs" are set as English(United States), Do i need to update this as well to Japan/China? I would request admin to do the same as i dont have permission.

Please let me know if am correct and would this resolve my Problem.

Thanks,

Senthil Kumar P
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I think you are going to have to let us know. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
senthilt1
Participant

Post by senthilt1 »

Hi All,

I have changed my windows language setting for Non-Unicode Program to Japan. Now i Am able to view the Japanese characters through datastage View data. Similarly i need to check by updating to China for Chinese Characters.

Its working, not sure this is the right approach.

Thanks,

Senthil
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

It's the logical approach.

Your Windows Designer code needs to be able to translate those double byte character hex codes and present to you that special symbol. Just because the back end server can speak double byte, when you want to eyeball the data via View Data, you need your GUI to also properly interpret double byte.