last import information of Datastage job

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Apy
Participant

last import information of Datastage job

Post by Apy »

Is there any way to check last import information of Datastage job? Details should include- User name, Import Timestamp and Job names.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Information Server Manager will show it as "Creation" date. However, no way to tell if the "creation" was an import, or just a new job creation.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
Apy
Participant

Post by Apy »

Does it mean that there is no way to keep track of version of your Datastage job?
johnboy3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by johnboy3 »

Would you like to just check the Job's Log in DataStage Director? Depending on how you have logging configured, that may show the entire history of the running of that Job.

Did I misunderstand something?
john3
john3
----------------------------------------------------
InfoSphere 8.5.0.2; DataStage 8.5.0.0; OS-RHEL 6.6; DB-Oracle Enterprise Edition 11g (11.2.0.4)
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

This isn't about a history of running a job but rather a history of changes made to / versions of a job.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Apy
Participant

Post by Apy »

Yes, you misunderstood the question.

My question is " When I import any datastage job through Designer or Command line, Is there any way to check last import/History of import information like User, timestamp etc."
Hope this clarifies my question.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

Look in Designer to see who created it or modified it last, and when. As mentioned, you cannot tell if it was imported, per se. You can view details by clicking the little bar with arrows on the repository, or, you can go under the View menu and select the Detailed Repository View.

The first time in, you will have to right click in the header area and choose which columns you want to view. You can view details like Last modified date, Last modified by, Created date, and Created by. The dates are actually timestamps. However, it does not show any history beyond this.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Unless things have changed, from what I recall when you import a job it completely replaces the original version of the job - i.e. it deletes the original and then imports the new version. Meaning I believe that the "creation date" would be the date of the last import... assuming it was imported into the environment.

Can anyone confirm / deny?
-craig

Apy
Participant

Post by Apy »

I have cross checked this. Creation date is the date when first time Datastage job is created and not the last import date.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Thanks for that.
-craig

ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

This would depend surely on the import method. For example, when importing from DSX file using DataStage Designer, it's usually the case that the old job is deleted and a new job number allocated. This would surely indicate that creation date = import date in that case.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That was what I was thinking of and referring to, job number and all. Pardon my aging brain but what other import mechanism is there? I mean what other one would not do the delete/insert? :?
-craig

johnboy3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by johnboy3 »

Would Job Lineage provide this?
john3
john3
----------------------------------------------------
InfoSphere 8.5.0.2; DataStage 8.5.0.0; OS-RHEL 6.6; DB-Oracle Enterprise Edition 11g (11.2.0.4)
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote: Pardon my aging brain but what other import mechanism is there?
Import from isx using istool command.

Whether or not this updates the date/time created in XMETA remains to be tested, but not by me at the current time.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.