To know why a particular file is created in temp directory

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vishwanath
Participant

To know why a particular file is created in temp directory

Post by vishwanath »

Hi Folks,

Greetings!

I can see the 0 byte binary files created in TEMP_DIR with no extension

The file looks like this
<server name>_<random number>_nzw_0_0

My target DB is Netezza, Please let me know whether Datastage job creates this file or netezza creates this as part of stats collection

I need to know this info since we are purging old files in TEMP_DIR,i want to know whether this files have any significance

PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

You failed to mention if the file was being created on your ETL host or on the Netezza appliance.
vishwanath
Participant

Post by vishwanath »

It is created in AIX host where datastage is installed
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I've seen those files before with Netezza and the answer to your question is that no, they have no significance after the instance which uses them has finished; so you can delete those files (to be safe and not delete active ones, delete only older files, i.e. older than 1 day).
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

They are probably named pipes.

-T.J.
Teej
Participant

Post by Teej »

Forgot to include reference link:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Named_pipe

Basically this is something we use quite extensively within DataStage. If you do not want them in the /tmp directory, set your $TMPDIR folder to a preferred folder. A lot of named pipes are created there.

If they are not being cleaned up properly, and there is no failure related to Netezza, you may want to open a ticket -- pretty low priority (P3 or P4) so we can track this and fix this either internally, or via the Netezza team down the road.

-T.J.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, my guess would be either named pipes or lock files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.