Enhance "OS" dropdown.

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Enhance "OS" dropdown.

Post by rkashyap »

While posting a new topic, in the "OS" dropdown, some OPs post value of "Server OS" and others post value of "Client OS" (Windows).

Will it be possible to capture more information about OS by:
1. Changing label of existing OS field to "Server OS".
2. Create a new field for capturing "Client OS".
3. Capture more granular information about OS, by identifying the "flavor of Unix".
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Honestly, I don't think we'll see any changes here from what little I know of what goes on behind the scenes. There has been talk of a completely revamped site to replace this one but haven't heard anything new along those lines for quite some time. Maybe someone has more insight into that?

To your points, however...

1. That would definitely help
2. Not sure that's needed as it's always 'Windows' and only really an issue when it is the O/S for the server
3. People can use the Additional Info field for that, or put it in their post for now. Agree there are times when it would be helpful or even vital.

:!: Now that I've mentioned Additional Info - people, for goodness sake do not simply repeat your subject there! How is that any kind of additional? Save me the trouble of scraping it out when I see it (pet peeve alert) and use it for something actually useful. That or just leave it blank. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

I agree that "Client OS" is redundant.

Last year at IBM Insight, someone had mentioned that a revamped dsxchange would be launched in 2016. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I agree about the server OS, and the list needs expansion too. Perhaps:
  • Windows Server

Linux

zLinux

UNIX (AIX, HP-UX, Solaris)

Hadoop
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.