sequential file stage property

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wuruima
Participant

sequential file stage property

Post by wuruima »

Read from multiple nodes
Number Of readers per node

Some days ago I just learnt we can set "Number Of readers per node" to improve the performance to read a cma file, that means there are some readers reading in the same time in one node.

And then I realize this one "Read from multiple nodes", according to the document, I think it's like the parallel run, 4 nodes read the same file the same time.

my question is, in my view, sequential file should read in sequence, if we set either the properties, then the file will process "parallelly", is this understanding correct?

And we should always set this property to read seq file, so that we can have better performance, right?

Thanks..
Walter/
wuruimao
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I believe those settings only apply to fixed-width files, not delimited files. The benefits of using the settings may be questionable unless justified. It really depends on your topology, horsepower available, and the size of the fixed-width files. I would say not to always set those settings, but only do so when you have the resources and can measure an overall performance improvement.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

qt_ky wrote:I believe those settings only apply to fixed-width files, not delimited files.
Correct!
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Actually these properties can be used with delimited files, though it's not as efficient as with fixed-width format files.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wuruima
Participant

Post by wuruima »

haha, I didn't notice this point actually when i read the doc.

And yes I used it in delimit file and the performance is better.
Last edited by wuruima on Thu Nov 26, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
wuruimao
wuruima
Participant

Post by wuruima »

I think.
fixed-length rows != fixed-width format file
wuruimao