IADataRule stage - data type + max length for checked cols

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Maxhouston
Participant

IADataRule stage - data type + max length for checked cols

Post by Maxhouston »

Hi all,
my problems are :
1) in every job I use a IADataRule stage I have to convert the datatype of the columns from Numeric to Varchar in order to avoid a warning message that tells me that the automatic conversion could cause a possible data truncation. This happens in every job where the data rule is like "field not in_reference_column column". The only case in which there is no warning message once the job is run is when the rule is "field = value" and two numeric columns are compared. Question : Why there is this kind of behaviour ? Why am I obliged to do this conversion ?
2) In every case in which I have to compare two columns defined as varchar (or converted from any numeric type to varchar) if the column length exceeds 32 chars a warning message occours once the job is run where the warning message is like "When checking operator: When binding output schema variable "outRec": When binding output interface field "colonna" to field "_ia_generated_1": Implicit conversion from source type "string[max=35]" to result type "ustring[max=32]": Possible truncation of variable length string." and there is no way to avoid it. Question : is it possible (and it would be disturbing) that the object has been designed to accept only 32 chars max ? Apart from this, is there any workaround to avoid the warning message ? I tried converting input column in ustring type but the warning message is the same.

Thanks in advance for any answers.