Connecting to 2 different servers using DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Tampa_Indy
Participant

Connecting to 2 different servers using DataStage

Post by Tampa_Indy »

Is it possible to connect to 2 different environments using DataStage? If so, how does one do this? When we launch the client, it asks us for the server we want to connect to. However, when we connect, I am not able to determine how to set an input stage to connect to a different DataStage server.
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

what are you trying to accomplish?
Tampa_Indy
Participant

Post by Tampa_Indy »

I want to create an Input Stage from a different server and have it push data into the Output Stages for our DataStage job. e.g.

Server 1: Table S1A
Server 2: Table S2a, S2b, S2c

So I would like to push data into S2a, S2b and S2c using data from S1A.

When I login to the DataStage client, I only have access to Table S2a, S2b, S2c. Or I could login to a different host name and connect to S1A but will not be able to connect to Table S2a, S2b or S2c.

Hope that clarifies.
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

When you launch the client, you choose the server and project to connect to. Every job you create is executed on a server (not on the client).

Normally, each server is dedicated to an environment, such as Production, Test, or Development, and the servers are not allowed to talk to each other or transfer data back and forth, unless you have something unusual going on.

You create jobs in a Development project and unit test them. Then they will get promoted into some kind of Test project and so on, but you can only make changes in Development.

Can you give some more context?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
Tampa_Indy
Participant

Post by Tampa_Indy »

qt_ky wrote:Can you give some more context?
We were trying to connect to 2 different database servers. It appears as if that connection was in fact correct and possible. The issue was that depending on which host we used, the parameter sets values had changed, causing other tables to populate versus the expected ones.

Thank you for the help!