Does Datastage provide bitwise logical OP?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

olgc
Participant

Does Datastage provide bitwise logical OP?

Post by olgc »

Hi there,

Does Datastage provide bitwise op? Can you get the highest 2 bits of a byte and then 4 bits, then the lowest 2 bits? I.e., a byte data is split to three parts: highest 2 bits, middle 4 bits, lowest 2 bits with Datastage?

Thanks,
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Always best to check Appendix B of the Parallel Job Developer's Guide for currently available built-in transform functions.

Having said that though, I don't recall any.

If you can afford to use a BASIC transformer in a parallel job or a BASIC routine in a job sequence, I'm pretty sure there are BASIC functions that can test and manipulate bits.

Mike
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

They are described in the location Mike indicated, and under the Logical functions section.

BitAnd(), BitCompress(), BitExpand(), BitOr(), BitXOr(), Not(), SetBit()

I would think you need to use the BitAnd() function.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
olgc
Participant

Post by olgc »

Thanks a lot. So bitwise op can be done with BASIC, but for parallel, we have to use C to manipulate it, even it's hard. I just wonder why bitwise logic op is not provided as a stardard ligocal op. It's easy to do so.

Thanks,
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

Seems to me that BASIC isn't needed. I would think the parallel transform functions listed by qt_ky should give you what you need.

Mike
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Exactly, you seem to have misunderstood the reply - those are the built-in Parallel Logical bit-wise functions he listed.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers