Datasatge job performance with version 9.1 and Oracle 12C

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

satheesh_color
Participant

Datasatge job performance with version 9.1 and Oracle 12C

Post by satheesh_color »

Hi All,

We have a datastage project in version 9.1 and Oracle 12C as an target DB. When we ran the jobs it ran fine for few jobs, but some of the jobs really do underperformance like <10 rows/sec when they do update and then insert using Oracle Connector Stage. When i remove the stage and use Dataset it ran with 3000 rows/sec.

Really curious to know from where we have to take a look into it, either Datastage or Database.

Aprciate your response.

Thanks,
Satheesh.R
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Database. Let's start with - do you have an index over the fields in your update where clause?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

chulett wrote:Database. Let's start with
Yoda?
:lol:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
satheesh_color
Participant

Post by satheesh_color »

Hi Chullet,

Yes. We do have a index for the key column for the update.

Note: Even tried to truncate the table and re-load by only inserting the records using cdc code. Still there we no performance improvement.

Thanks,
Satheesh.R
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

satheesh_color wrote:re-load by only inserting the records using cdc code.
Can you explain exactly what this means, please. What does 'using the cdc code' have to do with doing pure inserts?
-craig

satheesh_color
Participant

Post by satheesh_color »

Hi Chullet,

My Bad, sorry for the confusion. Change capture stage return code.

Thanks,
Satheesh.R
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

I vaguely recall similar issues posted and patches or fix packs solving similar problems on version 9.1. Have you looked on Fix Central and checked with Support?
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I wasn't confused as to what "CDC" stands for and am well aware of the change code of which you speak. I just don't see how you can be using it and allegedly "re-load by only inserting". I'm guessing you meant that you switched from "insert else update" to separate actions of either an insert or an update, driven by the change code. That's fine as it doesn't possibly burn two actions to perform one. If that's still slow, my money is still on the updates.

What's your ratio of inserts versus updates? If you only process the inserts is there still a speed issue? Does it start of fast and then slow down? Have your DBA trace the running processes and the explain plan on the Oracle side, see the path the optimizer took and if in fact it is even using your index for updates.

Oh.. and check with support. :wink:
-craig

rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

This may not be related, but I will pass this on. We had faced a similar underperfromace issue with some of the jobs on DataStage 9.1.2 (Solaris) while writing to Oracle 11.2.0.3 on three Node RAC. (APT Config = 8 Nodes) in Update/Insert mode. Matching indexes existed on target tables. Input was coming from an Oracle table with same primary keys, so there were no duplicates either. Our support provider could not replicate it in their environment and believed that this to be an Oracle database issue.

Work around for this issue was to run the job on one node or (target) Oracle connector in sequential mode.

Another related issue was that at high volumes, "Insert" of Update/Insert write mode aborted with "Unique Constraint error. Above mentioned workaround worked for this issue also. Another workaround for this issue was to provide ignore_row_on_dupkey_index hint in custom Insert SQL in Oracle Connector.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Did you think of running the job on three nodes, to match the number of nodes in the Oracle RAC?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

We did not try running the job on three nodes at that time, but we have tried it now. Results are same as earlier :(
PaulVL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PaulVL »

What did your Oracle DBA say about the matter?
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

In our shop, there are multiple applications successfully inserting/updating records in parallel mode, so DBAs were not convinced that the issue is on Oracle side. They did review all settings and patches etc.

IBM was not able to replicate this issue, so they were not ready to engage engineering! IBM did send several suggestions which were time-consuming to implement, but did not work. At one point, IBM also mentioned Oracle server side bug 10178982, but as per technote this only impacts Oracle version 11.2.0.2.0 or lower (so it should not impact Oracle 11.2.0.3 database tables).

At this point, we had spent several weeks pursuing this issue with vendors without any solution in sight, so we decided to load problem tables in sequential mode and move on.

Please note that other posters have also faced similarissue.

Another interesting thing we observed with Unique Constraint issue was

Code: Select all

Source Oracle ---> Transformer ---> Target Oracle ----> RejFile
(Same PK as target)              (Update then Insert)
If source record count is 1000 and if 10 records are rejected then only 990 records should be loaded to target table. However, all of the 1000 records were successfully loaded to the target but 10 records also showed up in reject file.!
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Does oracle enterprise help? try changing to enterprise stage, just to test.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink: