EBCIDIC to ASCII using CFF having COMP3 filed

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

venkateshkumarg
Premium Member
Premium Member

EBCIDIC to ASCII using CFF having COMP3 filed

Post by venkateshkumarg »

We are trying to convert EPCIDIC file using Complex Flat File stage. one of the record is having COMP3 filed to convert. when we have all the field defined as character, job runs successfully and write the data into a sequential file. only issue is COMP3 field shows junk value.
If we make COMP3 field as decimal (11,2), Job throws an error as below.

Complex_Flat_File_0,0: Tag value from link is unavailable; for field "complex_flat_file_0_record_type"

Complex_Flat_File_0,0: Import unsuccessful at record 2.

FYI. when I view from the CFF stage, I could able to view COMP3 field data properly for only one record
Venkatesh
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Perhaps this FAQ entry will help.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Craig,

I now have significant experience with CFF stage, and have a short list of additions to the FAQ available. Let me know how you wish to use it.

Venkatesh,

The FAQ will definitely help you, but it doesn't say much about how to use the Table Definition Import wizard for COBOL FD metadata. A couple of cautions:

Be sure to get a text-file version of the copybook in use. This is critical for accurately (and efficiently) creating your table definition.

1) Remove all "88" level lines. They translate into description text only, and have no use otherwise.

2) Remove all comment lines -- "*" in column 7 of the copybook. Same deal as "88" level lines.

3) Consider splitting out "REDEFINES" into separate text files for import. You will need advice from your COBOL developers on how it's being used.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

FranklinE wrote:Craig, I now have significant experience with CFF stage, and have a short list of additions to the FAQ available. Let me know how you wish to use it.
8)

Send me the additions in a PM and I'll add them to the FAQ, that or send me a fully revised FAQ if you prefer and I'll replace the contents.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
venkateshkumarg
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by venkateshkumarg »

Hi Frank,

Looks like my copybook/text file imported good. I could able to read/view first line, It gives me an error for 2nd line onward
Like [####] Data Browser - ERROR.

What could have been an issue here.
Venkatesh
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Obviously an ERROR occurred.

(The message tells you no more than that.)

Have a look at the imported table definition then compare that with what's actually in the file. Don't use DataStage for this latter activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
FranklinE
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by FranklinE »

Send me the additions in a PM and I'll add them to the FAQ, that or send me a fully revised FAQ if you prefer and I'll replace the contents.
I'm in a bit of a bind right now. I'll decide which form to use and send it as indicated. Thanks.
Franklin Evans
"Shared pain is lessened, shared joy increased. Thus do we refute entropy." -- Spider Robinson

Using mainframe data FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=143596 Using CFF FAQ: viewtopic.php?t=157872
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

If you are getting error in COMP fields only, I believe the file was FTPed in Ascii mode which may lead to data corruption in COMP fields. Make sure the file was transferred in binary mode.

And yes, you need to have a good look on the cobol file definition as well.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink: