Soundex function in 7.5 server vs 8.7 Parallel

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kiranh_1214
Premium Member
Premium Member

Soundex function in 7.5 server vs 8.7 Parallel

Post by kiranh_1214 »

Team,

we are using a SoundexName function in datastage 7.5 server on windows. for a given string it is generating a value.

what is the equivalent of the SoundexName in datastage parallel 8.7?

Tried with Soundex function which is giving a another value for the same string in 8.7 Parallel.

Please let me know the equivalent value for the function SoundexName in 8.7 parallel edition on linux.
Kiran Kumar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As far as I know, you'll either need to write your own or continue to use the Server routine in your Parallel jobs via a Server Shared Container.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
qt_ky
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by qt_ky »

The 7.5 docs are getting scarce. I am wondering if the SoundexName function is home-grown, unique to your shop, or if it was built in. There are no matching search results on the ibm.com site.
Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. - Confucius
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

SoundexName is/was NOT a built-in function. In any version.

A number of sites created similar routines. For example, I once created a Soundex algorithm for Pacific Island names (in which the rules around vowel handling, leading "NG", etc., are different than in US English). I called this SoundexPI. I suspect something similar has happened in your SoundexName function - whose source code you should be able to examine.

The Soundex algorithm is documented in many places on the web.
If you're going to create your own function you may prefer something like NYSIIS algorithm, which is more accurate.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.