Issue with DataStage 9.1 upgrade

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

DatastageCoEUser
Premium Member
Premium Member

Issue with DataStage 9.1 upgrade

Post by DatastageCoEUser »

We are working on DataStage upgrade from 8.0.1 to 9.1 version

We are facing the below issues during upgrade

1. Performance issue - parallel engine job startup times taking more time
2. Few Jobs getting hung when parameter APT_NO_BUFFERING_FUNNEL_INPUT=1 is set
3. The sort & remove duplicate (stages) algorithm is behaving differently between 8.0.1 and 9.1
4. Join stage with same input links is behaving differently in DS9.1 (auto partition).
5. Warnings are more in 9.1 compared to 8.0.1 for the same job

Can you please let us know whether we have faced these issue in any upgrade projects?
Also will we face the same issue if we upgrade to 8.5 instead of 9.1??
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

1. Haven't seen it
2. Never used that option. Why are you turning buffering off on the funnels?
3. Can you quantify "different"? How? What behavior?
4. Again, what is "different"?
5. Most definitely. Starting at 8.1 and again at 8.5 the metadata rules were more strictly enforced, resulting in numerous warnings as jobs are now reporting their metadata doesn't match the metadata on the database. Job should be updated to match. What other types of messages are you seeing?

Null handling did change between 8.0.1 and 9.1 along with some other items which might be causing the join problems among other things.

Refer to this tech note for details on compatibility issues between those releases http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.w ... wg21459416

Did you also turn on NLS? If so, there are other issues related to enabling NLS. viewtopic.php?t=151139
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you installed version 9.1.2 (that is, Fix Pack 2)?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Found something that might be pertinent to the slow startup times for PX jobs.

You'll need a valid IBM login id to access this: https://www-304.ibm.com/support/entdocv ... wg1JR49593

Text is below:

JR49593: INFORMATION SERVER 9.1 PARALLEL JOBS HAVE LONG STARTUP TIMES DURING SCHEMA SETUP

Investigation has shown that there is an un-needed function call inside PX schema distribution code which slows down performance on some systems

Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Hi

We had a same issue in our environment 9.1. we are moving from 8.5 to 9.1.

As per IBM we have applied 9.1 patch JR49593 for these issues. The following issue has been fixed 1) slow start-up and 2) sort & remove duplicate (stages) algorithm with Auto partition issues.

Thanks
Man
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

Again you will hit same issue even 8.5.

We migrated 8.5 to 9.1. It looks like IBM released almost 15 to 20 fixes between 8.5 to 9.1. But we are seeing lot of improvement in 9.1 compare to 8.5.

It looks like you guys using very old version (8.0.1). Better to move 9.1 and also try to redesign some of old jobs which is designed on 8.0.

Thanks

Man
rkashyap
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rkashyap »

One issue that we have observed on 9.1.2 (Solaris 64 with windows client) is that at times when the PX Oracle Connector of a readonly job is opened (when another client has job open), it will not show the Connector Properties tab, but reverts to the standard property editor. Similar issue was also observed for Db2Connector, though more severe - DSDesigner crashes.

Our support provider is looking into these issues. Based on what I could gather, few other shops are also facing this issue.
kmsekhar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kmsekhar »

asorrell wrote:JR49593: INFORMATION SERVER 9.1 PARALLEL JOBS HAVE LONG STARTUP TIMES DURING SCHEMA SETUP
Hi,

Does the above APAR #JR49593 fix has been fixed as part of new releases i.e., 9.1.2 version or 11.3 version?
Thanks,
Sekhar
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Is number five - more warning messages - due to the use of a message handler that hasn't been migrated between versions? Have a look in the 8.0.1 DataStage Administrator to see if the project has a default message handler that downgrades or hides certain warning messages.
kmsekhar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kmsekhar »

Hi vmcburney/team

Could you please help me in the below:

Does the above APAR #JR49593 fix has been included as part of new releases i.e., 9.1.2 version or 11.3 version?
Thanks,
Sekhar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Why not help yourself, ask your official support provider? Get the answer from the horse's mouth, so to speak.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kmsekhar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kmsekhar »

Hi Chullet,

I've already requested IBM to provide the details, I am yet to get the response.

Meanwhile I thought of getting valuable input from dsxchange team, If you have details please provide.
Thanks,
Sekhar
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

If I did, I would.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kmsekhar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by kmsekhar »

JR49593 is NOT in IS 9.1 FP1/FP2, 11.3/11.3.1, It will be included in upcoming version 11.3.2 when it is released
Thanks,
Sekhar