How many OSH process does parallel job creates?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

BalajiL
Premium Member
Premium Member

How many OSH process does parallel job creates?

Post by BalajiL »

Hi All,

I need an explanation on my below query.

Suppose if my job contains one sequential file - > transformer -> copy -> dataset

How many OSH processes will be created given 2 node configuration file.

Scenarios:
1. If operator combination is disabled.
2. If operator combination is enabled.
3. Sequential file Readers per node > 1 and operator combination is enabled.

Also please explain is there any difference if job runs in SMP or MPP.
Also explain abt conductor, section leader and child process and their significance in this question.

I have tried reading documents but couldn't get clear picture.

I appreciate your help in this.
Warm Regards,
Balaji
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Sorry and hate to say it but these kind of questions are not ones that I prefer to answer. It's not about a specific problem someone is having but rather what seem like interview questions or someone farming for an interview answer site... especially when it's a first post. Never mind that these topics are better suited for discussion in a class setting, which of course exist.

Answer the first set of questions by building the job in question and running it. The others are out there online for the Googling or in the documentation provided with the product.

By the way, which documents did you read? Knowing that, people here could probably suggest others more appropriate for your questions. IBM has some awesome free Redbooks, for example.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
BalajiL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BalajiL »

Craig,

I read Parallel framework and standard practices and part of Parallel job guides.

I tried googling but all results were related to sample questions without clear explanation. As u said it may come up with experience when building jobs but i am new to this tool and that's why posted this.

Thanks for your time.
Warm Regards,
Balaji
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ray posted a white paper that might help. Best to take a class if you can... there are so many other things you'll need to learn and become familiar with before you need to start worrying about things like how many processes a job creates. IMHO.

As to the differences between SMP and MPP plus how that relates to DataStage, that has been discussed here over the years and an exact search (which has no date limit) should turn them up. One example is here.
-craig

BalajiL
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BalajiL »

Craig,

Thanks for your reply,Started to search on this forum for more information.

Appreciate your support.
Warm Regards,
Balaji
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Cool. Pretty much any question you have has been asked and answered over the many years we've been here.
-craig