Datastage Segment Violation Error

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Sharali001
Participant

Datastage Segment Violation Error

Post by Sharali001 »

Hello All,

I am facing Segment Violation issue in my Paralle job.

In my Job i am trying to insert records in Oracle table using OCI Stage and write method is Upsert.

Exact Error message:- Opreator terminated abnormally:Received SIGSEGV signal.

I have gone through the DSExchange for this topic but no solution has worked here.

One more intresting thing i cam to know in this issue.When i am trying to insert 2 or more records then job terminated abnormally and throwing SIGSEGV signal error but it i am trying to insert only single record then job is finished suceesfully without any fatal error but the record is rejected. There is no warning and no other message so that i could find the reasson for rejection of that record. I have checked the data also, data is correct.

As per my assumption this job is terminated while processing 2 or more records. It is unable to performm parallel processing.
Please share your idea and provide some soution.... :( :( :(
Regards,
Sharali Sharma
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Need to see exact error message. which stage is throwing that message? do you get anything like "From previous run" when you reset the job. Any reasons for not using Oracle enterprise stage?
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
priyadarshikunal
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by priyadarshikunal »

Also seems this question was posted 3 times. Please delete other 2 posts as It will be confusing for every one if you start getting different suggestions on all 3 posts.
Priyadarshi Kunal

Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped. :wink:
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Moved this one, took care of the extras.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you perhaps sending NULL into a column that is defined to be NOT NULL ? Or sending too many characters into a VARCHAR2 column?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sharali001
Participant

Post by Sharali001 »

Hello All,

Thanks for the replying.....
I am using Oracle Enterprise stage in Job and also i have checked that there is no null value for not null column.

My first question is why job is getting failed while inserting 2 or more records?
My Second question is if i am inserting record then job is finished successfull but the record is getting rejected, Why?

Thanks in advance for replying.
Regards,
Sharali Sharma
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A segmentation violation fault indicates an attempt to access a memory address that the process does not own. The two examples I cited are common causes of segmentation violations in database stage types.

I note that you did not address my second scenario in your investigation. Trying to insert (for example) 33 characters (or more) into a VARCHAR2 column that is defined only to support 32 characters (or fewer) will typically throw a SIGSEGV. Do check the string sizes in your second record.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Sharali001
Participant

Post by Sharali001 »

Sorry but i am not able to read your complete message, showing like Primium content, please tell me how can i read?

I know the error meaning that it is trying to access a memory address which is not defined for that particular process...

But the thing is what i need to do to solve this issue...
Regards,
Sharali Sharma
Sharali001
Participant

Post by Sharali001 »

One more thing i want to mention that i am using Datastage 7.5.2...

I read on google somewhere that it might me version bug...

Is it true?
Regards,
Sharali Sharma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

That version is about as old as they come and far out of support. :(

Anything 'unusual' about the job design? Say, for example, are you processing a CLOB? Posting the details of your job design may help us help you.
-craig

Sharali001
Participant

Post by Sharali001 »

Hello,

No i am not processing any CLOB.

actually the Job design is little complex so i can not post complete design but i can give you overview :-

dataset
--->merge-->filter-->OCI
dataset

Here OCI stage is throwing the fatal error and write mode is UPSERT.
Regards,
Sharali Sharma
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Kind of hard to help without details or eyes on. Still wondering if this job does anything 'unusual' so details around what kind of UPSERT you are doing in the OCI stage, properties / settings / etc. I'm also curious if you're certain that is where the error is coming from - can you post the complete, unedited error please?
-craig

Sharali001
Participant

Post by Sharali001 »

Please find the exact error message below-

OCI_TCA_INDC_SOLD_insert,0: Operator terminated abnormally: received signal SIGSEGV

In Properties of OCI Stage i have given:-

Write Method - Upsert
Upsert Mode - Auto generated Update & Insert
Upsert Order - Insert then update
Regards,
Sharali Sharma