Windows: tsort file is not registered

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ed Purcell
Premium Member
Premium Member

Windows: tsort file is not registered

Post by Ed Purcell »

We are running v9.1 on Windows server 2008. 4 node config file
Warning message:
node_node3: APT_PMCleanUp::deleteFileRegistration: file E:/IBM/InformationServer/Server/Scratch3/tsortGwcflQsy is not registered.

Any idea what is the cause of this?
EPCCTX
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage has lost track of one of the temporary files created by a tsort operator and has discovered that that is so when trying to clean up.

You should regularly delete these orphans from the scratchdisk.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Ed Purcell
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Ed Purcell »

This keeps happening regularly. The client is running DS v9.1 on Windows 8 under VMWare. Is this possibly a sign that their environment is messed up, or perhaps that the problem is running DS under Windows and VMWare?
EPCCTX
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

A good time to do cleanup is right before or after a re-boot, or at any other time when you can guarantee that there are no active jobs on the system. All "tsort" files are supposed to be temporary, so anything left hanging around can be deleted.
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Orphaned scratchdisk files are most typically left by aborted jobs. This is one of the reasons I create job designs that do not abort.

When a player process aborts, its controlling section leader (or even the conductor process) may attempt to clean up temporary/scratch files. I believe that this is happening in your case, but somehow it is losing track of which scratchdisk files are associated with each tsort player.

This might also happen where operator combination is occurring.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

VMWare is supported as a DataStage platform, so supposedly you could call support to see if they could assist you. However, with these random type problems and two vendors involved it could be a long haul with lots of finger pointing between IBM and VMWare...
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020