Overhead of "Enabled for Information Services"

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

asorrell

Overhead of "Enabled for Information Services"

Post by asorrell »

I'm putting together a list of performance improvements that need to be implemented at my current site. There are a large number (hundreds?) of jobs that are marked "multi-instance" and "Enabled for Information Services" because the template they all used had that turned, even though it wasn't required. None of the jobs require multi-instance or IISD.

Does anyone know what kind of overhead those options add to a job? This system runs at 100% nearly the entire day (7x24).
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Quite a bit depends upon how long the jobs run; the overhead is more during startup (I'm certain about the multi-instance jobs, not absolutely with the enabled-for-information-servicies part) than during execution. So if you have jobs that run for hours then your gain by changing the settings will be insignificant. If the jobs startup and only run 1-2 seconds and do that hundreds of times, you might notice a speed gain.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

....but there isn't any overhead to a job with the "potential" to be run multi-instance or the "potential" to be deployed under ISD. It's merely a setting for capability that "could" be exploited but is (apparently) not.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

One would think not, but I recall having experimented with this question back when multi-instance came out and there was a difference, probably due to a bit more if-then-else code when writing log entries.

But it will be small for multi-instance. I haven't experimented with the enabling information services part, though - that might be similar in that it just changes the job's termination mode.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are not even any overheads when running multi-instance jobs. The only overheads occur when viewing the job log (effectively a view is needed that selects only the entries that relate to a specific invocation). Existence of an instance is recorded in RT_STATUSnnn so there's a tiny overhead (two I/O operations to hashed file) in maintaining that.

Likewise enabled for ISD. There are no overheads in the job per se - it will have the same overheads as starting up from dsjob or Director client if it's not run from ISD. An always running job does not have run-time start-up overheads.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
asorrell

Post by asorrell »

Great answers! Thanks! I'll drop that as an issue (since there are so many others).
Andy Sorrell
Certified DataStage Consultant
IBM Analytics Champion 2009 - 2020