Null in non-nullable field?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

chandra.shekhar@tcs.com
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chandra.shekhar@tcs.com »

In the transformer, are you using IsNull function for that column ?
Thanx and Regards,
ETL User
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Often when you perform an action on a field in the database it affects the resulting column nullability.

First off, add "$OSH_PRINT_SCHEMAS" to see what DataStage is getting from the Oracle stage.
anvi
Participant

Post by anvi »

chandra.shekhar@tcs.com wrote:In the transformer, are you using IsNull function for that column ?
We can't use the IsNull function because we are using "runtime column propagation", so we can't use any transformers.
Andrea Vincenzi
Data Warehouse & Business Intelligence Consultant
Via A. Cesalpino 17, 52100 Arezzo
www.olap.it
Tel. 347 3853617
andrea.vincenzi@tiscali.it
BI-RMA
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by BI-RMA »

When using Runtime Column Propagation Arnd's advice to set OSH_PRINT_SCHEMAS to True for the job is even more valid.
"It is not the lucky ones are grateful.
There are the grateful those are happy." Francis Bacon
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

I believe I had a case where a non-nullable column X in the database was queried with a "SELECT X as NewColumn..." and "NewColumn" arrived in DataStage as a nullable one. I can't check if that still happens, and it might be dependent upon your database and version, but this is a likely source of getting an altered nullability. Again, have DataStage print out the schemas since they represent the actual data, unlike the column definitions in your job.