Decimal value is out of range

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Ankur_Sinha
Participant

Decimal value is out of range

Post by Ankur_Sinha »

Hi Experts..
I imported a SCD job in 8.5 from 8.1
Job Desc: Input datasets--->SCD stage-->Ouput Datasets.
Here,only 1 colmun in lkp dataset is decimal type as(decimal[38,0]) and rest are Varchar.That decimal column also contains negative value for some records.

On running the job in 8.5 it is throwing error as:

APT_CombinedOperatorController(1),0: Fatal Error: APT_Decimal::asIntegerU64: the decimal value is out of range for the integer result.

While this job is running fine in 8.1

Plz give some clue to fix this issue.
Thanx in advance...
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you look at the error message it states that the problem is occuring while converting from APT_Decimal to IntegerU64. This is an unsigned big integer and I suspect you are forcing this conversion somewhere.
- Check the datatypes to ensure that you aren't forcing this conversion
- Turn off operator combination ($APT_DISABLE_COMBINATION to "true" in the job parameters) to determine exactly which stage is triggering the error.
Ankur_Sinha
Participant

Post by Ankur_Sinha »

Thank you so much for your response..
I checked the datatype for that column,there is no such conversion and SCD stage is triggering the error as:
SCD_1,0: Fatal Error: APT_Decimal::asIntegerU64: the decimal value is out of range for the integer result.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

How is that column being used in your SCD stage?
Ankur_Sinha
Participant

Post by Ankur_Sinha »

That column is being used as a SURROGATE KEY in SCD stage
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Looks like you have hit on a limitation in the stage. Can you convert the decimal to a string prior to the SCD stage and see if that works?
Ravi.K
Participant

Post by Ravi.K »

What is the current value for Surrogate key.
Cheers
Ravi K
Ankur_Sinha
Participant

Post by Ankur_Sinha »

ArndW wrote:Looks like you have hit on a limitation in the stage. Can you convert the decimal to a string prior to the SCD stage and see if that works? ...
Ya..on converting the decimal column to integer or string ,it is working fine...
But i don't want to do any such conversion..because other jobs with similar conditions are working fine in 8.5.Plz suggest me why this issue is coming with this job in 8.5 as it is working fine in 8.1
Ankur_Sinha
Participant

Post by Ankur_Sinha »

Ravi.K wrote:What is the current value for Surrogate key.
The current value for surrogate key is a positive number > 10
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

This is a case for your support provider, as the functionality does seem to have changed and you have a good test case/example for the problem. Unless support comes up with a solution, you will probably have to use a conversion to string or similar in any case.