Xmeta vs Hashed files

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dsdoubt
Participant

Xmeta vs Hashed files

Post by dsdoubt »

In Datastage 8.5, There is Xmeta in Database and the Repository (DS_JOBS / DS_JOBOBJECTS etc) in hashed files also.
Locks can be still cleared using DS.TOOLS. And aswell using Datastage Admin Webconsole.
May I know why is there two different places the metadata is been maintained?
Or what is maitained in Xmeta and what is in OS hashed file repository?
I understand that there is some extra feature such as DS_AUDIT and more reporting feature is avaialble in XMeta.
Anything else?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

I think the goal is to eliminate all the hashed files and only use XMETA. I am guessing that took longer than expected or there were performance issues. So they are eliminating slowly and duplicating data because XMETA is supported across multiple product lines.

Only IBM knows for sure why it is this way.
Mamu Kim
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Thanks for the Reply Kim!
May I know the actual purpose of Xmeta in today's world?
Apart from reporting and Auditing.

If we delete a record in Xmeta (Eg: Delete a job), will it relfect in Datastage repository too? Or the Vice versa?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The local repository (which you have called "hashed files" and which was originally built on the UniVerse RDBMS) is the original, and continues to be used primarily for design-time operations so that you don't commit anything to XMETA until you are ready to. For performance reasons you can also specify local job logging.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

There are times you can delete in XMETA and it is okay. If you are running logs only in XMETA then you can delete in XMETA. I would not guess on any other table. Do it at your own risk. I doubt if it is supported.
Mamu Kim
dsdoubt
Participant

Post by dsdoubt »

Thanks Ray! When do it get commited to Xmeta? After Compiling or Running a job first time?

Thanks Kim, Looks like there is some script available from IBM to force sync the both Xmeta and the UV.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's always connected (via services) to XMETA. Your Information Server roles and DataStage credentials are stored in XMETA - you could not log in were they not there.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.