DataStage variables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fmou
Participant

DataStage variables

Post by fmou »

Hi,

Am I right that in the transformer stage, all kinds of variables can be used in output columns derivations, including transformer's own stage variables, job parameters, and user variables from the job sequence?

How about updating the variables? Only the transformer's own stage variables can be updated?

Thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

"User variables" would need to be passed in as job parameters. You can't update job parameters, rather you use them in other derivations who's values can change.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In short, you are not correct. Scope of User Variables is limited to the sequence itself; indeed only to activities directly downstream of the User Variables activity.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
fmou
Participant

Viewing values of the User Variables and job parameters

Post by fmou »

[reusing the old thread to ask a related question]

How can I view/debug the actual value of the User Variables and job parameters?

Thanks
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Job parameter values are reported into the job log. User variable values are not, but that doesn't matter if you've passed them as job parameters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.