Nutcracker Service

A forum for discussing DataStage<sup>®</sup> basics. If you're not sure where your question goes, start here.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vbarca
Premium Member
Premium Member

Nutcracker Service

Post by vbarca »

Can anyone tell me what exactly the Nutcracker service is used for. I've noticed that for each client tool I open, a new instance of nutcsrv4.exe shows up in Task Manager. And if I start a job, multiple instances of nutcsrv4.exe get spawned.

Thanks,
Vince
Computer analyst to programmer: "You start coding. I'll go find out what they want."
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
vbarca
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vbarca »

Thanks Craig. I did Google it and found a lot of hits referencing ways to "fix" nutcsrv4.exe errors but I'm not sure if what I'm seeing is an error or not. I just noticed all these processes being spawned by DataStage. I also searched on this forum and saw that MKS Toolkit is installed as part of the DataStage installation and that Nutcracker is part of MKS??? That's why my question of what Nutcracker is used for. More so in what it is used for as it relates to DataStage.

Your link is another reference to how to "fix" nutsrv4 (I'm seeing nutcsrv4 with a "c" in the name) errors. Are you implying that DataStage should not be spawning all these processes?

Thanks,
Vince
Computer analyst to programmer: "You start coding. I'll go find out what they want."
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

No, I just grabbed one of the first links that Google returned that explained it was used by MKS Toolkit. It was just meant to be a starting point. I doubt it is any kind of error, but it would take more digging (or a support call) to find out exactly what service it does provide.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
greggknight
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by greggknight »

Nutcracker is part of the MKS package which is installed when datastage is installed. It is what manages all the osh processes through a wrapper.
"Don't let the bull between you and the fence"

Thanks
Gregg J Knight

"Never Never Never Quit"
Winston Churchill
vbarca
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by vbarca »

Thanks guys, I will open a support call to get more information.