DB Sequence and State file

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

DB Sequence and State file

Post by jagadam »

Hi Everyone,

We are implementing the dimensional modelling and we have debate going on to use DB sequence (Oracle) to generate surrogate key or use the state file.

Could you guys please let me know on what factors we have to consider.

Thanks in Advance
soumya5891
Participant

Re: DB Sequence and State file

Post by soumya5891 »

According to me it is better to use a state file for surrogate key generation.Because for DB sequence each time it hits the database.
Soumya
DSguru2B
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by DSguru2B »

If your process is the only one that will ever load the table in question then state file should be ok. If there is a chance that other applications may start entering data, then a db sequence object if preferable.
Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep.
gateleys
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by gateleys »

DSguru2B wrote:If your process is the only one that will ever load the table in question then state file should be ok. If there is a chance that other applications may start entering data, then a db sequence object ...
I agree with DSguru2B. We use db sequence only for those that require inserts from various regions.
gateleys
jagadam
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jagadam »

Thanks for your replys.