Call a job sequence from ISD

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Call a job sequence from ISD

Post by jreddy »

It looks like we can attach a DS job as the information provider, but can we attach a Job sequence? If a web service when called, needs to run 2 jobs in a row with some notification activity as well (for exception handling) need a sequence and cannot be accomplished with one job.

Reading the manual, not sure if we CANNOT call a job sequence or is there a work around ?

thanks in advance
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A job is a job is a job, be it a Server, PX or Sequence job so I would think this should be feasible as long as it is Multi-Instance. Can't say I've ever tried it myself, however... can they be "ISD enabled" or whatever it is called nowadays?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jreddy
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by jreddy »

That's exactly my thought Craig and that is why i am surprised why a sequence cannot be called. However the 'ISD enabled' option seems to be available only in the jobs (job properties) and not sequences. Strange - but i wondered if there are work arounds ..
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'd be very surprised if a sequence could be ISD enabled. Any job that can be ISD enabled needs to able to listen (e.g. ISD Input stage) and send. There's nothing in a sequence that fulfils this requirement.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

A regular Job, even without ISD Stages, can be published as a Service, but that support is not extended to Job Sequences....

So....... create a tiny little Server Job that has ISDInput---Transformer----ISDOutput (play with this technique first using Sequential---Transformer---Sequential until you get it right). Inside the Transformer, use the UtilityRunJob function to invoke your Job Sequence.

If you aren't doing this very often, you could just publish the Sequential---Transformer----Sequential Job as the Service and it will work fine.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yah, thought I recalled from my RTI days that the 'Input' stage isn't a requirement, so made a leap of faith to hoping that a Sequence could in fact be exposed. Ah well. Nice workaround, though. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It would be nice....but the alternate solution is very easy to set up. RTI had a web services implementation of the Job Control API also, but it was deprecated in ISD, probably because it wasn't used much.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

Probalby because RTI is not free product prior to 8.x; back then everbody is using DSStage Job Control API.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

It's still not (in its new evolved format of ISD) free......... ; )
Ernie Ostic

blogit!