Business Glossary and FastTrack forums

Make suggestions regarding the DSX site or the Forum

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

vmcburney
Participant

Business Glossary and FastTrack forums

Post by vmcburney »

I went looking for Business Glossary threads and found posts spread across half a dozen different forums. Can we get a new combined Business Glossary and FastTrack forum?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Separate ones would be even better. I think we are soon to have an explosion in Business Glossary "how to" and "best practice" issues.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

bravo. Absolutely.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

IBIWISI... new forums, that is. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
trenicar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by trenicar »

Yes please urgently needed
bobbysvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Business Glossary and FastTrack forums

Post by bobbysvr »

[quote="vmcburney"]I went looking for Business Glossary threads and found posts spread across half a dozen different forums. Can we get a new combined Business Glossary and FastTrack forum?[/quote]

Vinceny

I have couple of questions on BG, some very basic ones.....

1) Does BG support inheritance, in other words can I create a category with 5 terms and a subcategory with 1 term and inherit 5 terms from the parent. Can this be done.

2)You also talk about doing DS documentation in BG. You say you can attach word and spreashsheets as terms in BG. Does BG give you capability to attach such documentation. I cannot seem to find it, is this in 8.1.2. I am on 8.1. How would you attach documentation in BG.

3) You also talk about security and giving access to certain terms to certain groups. How do you do this. Is this available in 8.1?

Please advise.

Thanks
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

BG doesn't not support inheritance. It is not an ontology....however, you can do very creative things with the relationships that are available...such as Synonyms, Related Terms, and Assigned Assets.

BG supports URLs, so you can point to any url where you have a Word document or .ppt or something at a web page. BG has custom attributes if you want to put the url in a specially named property, and also, 8.1.2 has the ability to attach "external assets" which are like a pre-defined set of custom attribute properties....another good place for a URL to be placed. When the user clicks on the URL, a new window is opened onto the .doc, .ppt, .jpeg, etc. (Firefox and IE support most file types).

BG has various roles. You can assign those roles to "groups" of users...and if you happen to be using LDAP as your authentication mechanism for Info Server, you can have those groups be larger formal LDAP groups.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
bobbysvr
Premium Member
Premium Member

URL

Post by bobbysvr »

[quote="eostic"]BG doesn't not support inheritance. It is not an ontology....however, you can do very creative things with the relationships that are available...such as Synonyms, Related Terms, and Assigned Assets.

BG supports URLs, so you can point to any url where you have a Word document or .ppt or something at a web page. BG has custom attributes if you want to put the url in a specially named property, and also, 8.1.2 has the ability to attach "external assets" which are like a pre-defined set of custom attribute properties....another good place for a URL to be placed. When the user clicks on the URL, a new window is opened onto the .doc, .ppt, .jpeg, etc. (Firefox and IE support most file types).

BG has various roles. You can assign those roles to "groups" of users...and if you happen to be using LDAP as your authentication mechanism for Info Server, you can have those groups be larger formal LDAP groups.

Ernie[/quote]

Ernie,

So for giving a url link would you just cut and paste the URL link in the text field of a custom attribute? Or is there any other way to put in a link.

When you talk about BG roles, is this admin , author and user. Can I give certain users access to 10 terms in my BG and other group of users to totally different 10 terms and each cannot see what others are assigned.

Thanks
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

In the property inside of BG you just put your url "as is".... like http://www.ibm.com . You can also make it a "pretty" entry by using square brackets and pipe characters such as:

[http://www.ibm.com|main ibm web site]

Now the "main ibm web site" becomes an underlined link, using the detailed url to the left.....

With 8.1.2 you can assign "viewing" permissions...they are granular to the specific category level. So yes, depending on how you arrange your terms, you could easily isolate what terms each user is able to see.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!