keep job logs for terminated RTI instances

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

keep job logs for terminated RTI instances

Post by jgreve »

Is there a way to keep DataStage logs around for a terminated RTI instance? Maybe the job aborted, or maybe was simply stopped by an operator; regardless, I would like to know why it stopped, and what it was doing when it stopped.

I have found if a) I have a DataStage Director open on the log detail for a given RTI instance, and b) the job ends, then the records stay. But that instance's log goes away when I click back to the Job Status view. I have six RTI services now and don't really want to keep six DataStage Directors open all the time - and that won't be quite so practical when I'm running 6 x ten instances, so I'm looking for other ideas.

In my case, I started some RTI services four days ago. Each job had min instances=1, max instances = 1 (just logic testing, not load testing yet).

The RTI services I started each have 1 instance running; that is good.
But one of them has a start time from last night, the others have a start time of 4 days ago; that is not so good. Now it seems I am without an evidence trail, and I don't know how to tell why my instance stopped.

I looked through the RTI management console and didn't see anything about "check here to keep job logs."

In SystemOut, I have some error messages bout my RTI EJB's invocation failing,
but no detail about why. The other logs in that folder have pretty stale
timestamps by comparison; no activity after I started testing.

Code: Select all

/usr/WebSphere/AppServer/profiles/AppSrv01/logs/server1/SystemOut.log
Any other advice / places I could look?
John G.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I know of no reason why RTI job logs would simply "go away" unless you have auto-purge turned on and then still it wouldn't happen with the timing you are talking about.

Keep in mind that RTI jobs are multi-instance jobs so each current 'invocation' will filter its own logs out of them 'main' log file (each job has one log, MI or not) as if they had their own separate logs. They don't. If you mean a particular invocation number no longer shows up in the Director because it has aborted, you can still view the log from the 'main' entry point, the 'job' that always shows 'Compiled' and you will see all of the log entries for every invocation ever run - again, as long as they have not been purged. Problem is they're all mushed together and not all nicely filtered as the Director would do with each invocation - but they all should still be in there.

A filtering job or Universe query may help there, however.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

main entry point: that did the trick

Post by jgreve »

Ahhh. I never thought to try looking for log details
in the main entry point. That did the trick.
Thank you, Craig.

r.e. your interpretation, the red part nailed
my symptom. The rest reminds me me
how much I still have to learn.
Thanks again!
chulett wrote:I know of no reason why RTI job logs would simply "go away" unless you have auto-purge turned on and then still it wouldn't happen with the timing you are talking about.

Keep in mind that RTI jobs are multi-instance jobs so each current 'invocation' will filter its own logs out of them 'main' log file (each job has one log, MI or not) as if they had their own separate logs. They don't. If you mean a particular invocation number no longer shows up in the Director because it has aborted, you can still view the log from the 'main' entry point, the 'job' that always shows 'Compiled' and you will see all of the log entries for every invocation ever run - again, as long as they have not been purged. Problem is they're all mushed together and not all nicely filtered as the Director would do with each invocation - but they all should still be in there.

A filtering job or Universe query may help there, however.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

8) Glad that was it.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers