"No RTI Services are present" in RTI Console

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

"No RTI Services are present" in RTI Console

Post by jgreve »

[edit]: cleaned up text, added 'things tried thus far' section.

I was using the RTI Console to create a new RTI service, via the Add New Service wizard, to the RTI Server. I pasted the description into the wizard. When I hit [Finish], it came back with an error dialog:
/!\ An error occurred while performing your last action.
Please consult the error message below, and click
OK, RTI Console will continue to run.
There is an error in XML document ( 146, 5).
Troubleshooting Information: "click here:"

This last part yielded some error details (see below). Based on the below error details, it looks like there was a ^Z character (0x1A) in the text, and the RTI Wizard saved that as-is to whatever repository it uses.
[EDIT]: first I thought this was 0xA (linefeed), but upon reading the error details more closely, it is a 0x1A, which is a ^Z character.[/EDIT]

Now my RTI Console always starts with the above error message, then it shows "No RTI Services are present" on the GUI. And I know there are, in fact, services present (see Browse RTI Registry, below).

This seems like such a simple bug, but it has me dead in the water!

Here is some version info:
RTI Console Version: 7.5.2.8
Microsoft .NET version 1.1.4322.2407

Do you know how to get rid of the description for an RTI service? At the risk of being obvious, I can't do it with the RTI Console (because it doesn't list any of the services, I can't think of a way to bring up the problem service's Properties dialog on the RTI Console's gui).

Or... it would be fine to delete the service itself.
(Hmm - is there a command line version of the RTI console?)

Things Tried Thus Far
Restart RTI Console:
I have killed (Alt-F4) & re-launched my RTI Console GUI several times. It just brings up the same error message dialogue box. Interestingly enough, I can use the Category drop down to look services in some other categories besides [Main] - they display fine. But whenever I go back to the [Main] category (where my problem service lives), I get the same error message and an empty list.

Browse RTI Registry:
From the RTI Console, hit the "Browse RTI Registry" link; that opens up a web browser and shows lots of services, including my newly added one.

Export Wizard:
If I could edit an export file (like a DSX export), then it should be trivial to fix the bogus character & import. However - the export wizard fails on the same code; apparently it uses the same routine the RTI Console's GUI uses to get a current list of services.

Error Details
(X) There is an error in XML document (146, 5),
[ Continue ] [ Details ]
---------------
'', hexadecimal value 0x1A, is an invalid character. Line 146, position 60.

Source : System.Xml
Target Site : System.Object Deserialize(System.Xml.XmlReader, System.String, System.Xml.Serialization.XmlDeserializationEvents)
Win32/COM code: 0x8

at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, String encodingStyle, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader, XmlDeserializationEvents events)
at System.Xml.Serialization.XmlSerializer.Deserialize(XmlReader xmlReader)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.ReadResponse(SoapClientMessage message, WebResponse response, Stream responseStream, Boolean asyncCall)
at System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol.Invoke(String methodName, Object[] parameters)
at Ascential.RTI.Console.ConsoleWS.ConsoleService.getAllRTIServices(Filter filter)
at Ascential.RTI.Console.Pages.DMIServerPage._RefreshDMIPortTypes(Boolean throwOnError)
----------------
jgreve
Premium Member
Premium Member

resolution - blank DESCRIPTION column in RTI services table

Post by jgreve »

IBM support had our datastage admin set the description to an empty string in the database. The most helpful part from IBM support was that they explained where to find the database; in this case, it wasn't the default "derby" database that sometimes lives under the RTIServer/data folder, but an existing DB2 database. The db connection info was available from the WAS-console. From there, it was a short trip to blanking out the DESCRIPTION column; I believe the table name was called RTISERVICES.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Yes...7.5.2.x moved over to a more formal rdbms so that clustering could be supported......
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>