Sequence problem

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Anupam_M
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence problem

Post by Anupam_M »

Hi,

I have migrated from version 7.1(Unix platform) to 7.5.3(Windows Platform) and I am facing a peculiar error. One of the jobs is running fine if run by itself but when run in a sequence it is throwing up the following error :

DSD.BCIConnect connecting to <server name>, call to SQLConnect failed.
SQLSTATE=S1000, DBMS.CODE=12537
[DataStage][SQL Client][ODBC][Oracle][ODBC][Ora]ORA-12537: TNS:connection closed.

The job consists of lookups to oracle database<servername> tables using ODBC stages.

This job was running perfectly in the 7.1 UNIX environment and when run alone (not in sequence) in 7.5.3 works perfectly.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

-Anupam
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Running from a Sequence indicates that a parameter issue may be the case. The Sequence must be running the job with other values. Also, if your Sequence is running as a different userid that would indicate a userid/permissions discrepancy.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Or a difference in the ODBC or Oracle client / tnsnames setup.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

How would the setup impact whether the job was run directly or thru a Sequence? I'm not aware of any difference other than userid and parameters that could be the impact...A trusted connection would be impacted by userid...
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Ah... was thinking the Sequence itself may not be the issue here, but missed the part where it allegedly works outside the Sequence rather than 'works on old server not on new server'. Mea Culpa.

So yes, that should mean exactly what you posted.
-craig

dsuser_cai
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsuser_cai »

Check the parameter that you are passing in the seuence.
Check if you the DB is up and running (today i had the same issue, when asked the dba's they said the server was down, later once they ifxed from their side my issue was resolved')
Thanks
Karthick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Look in the Director logs both for the job sequence and for the job itself. In the "job run requested" event for the sequence note the parameter values that were sent. In the "job starting" event for the job note the parameter values that were received. Verify that they are the same.

Find out what Oracle error code -12537 means.

Code: Select all

oerr ORA 12537
It looks like a connection was made to Oracle and then closed.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

It's an "informational" message only and should occur in conjunction with the "real" problem, which should have also been reported.

Some examples of troubleshooting it: http://www.dba-oracle.com/t_ora_12537_tns_error.htm
-craig

Anupam_M
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Anupam_M »

Thanks everyone for your suggestions,

Here is a new twist to the tale. The sequence runs fine once in a while ( meaning majorly it fails but it had worked properly in a couple of occations). I have done a comparison of parameters between a successful run and an unsuccessful one(In the main sequence's job run requests entry and parameters passed in the jobs) and they have come out to be exactly same.
I am nearly at a loss of ideas here and the only thing that seems logical is some environment variable playing the devil (Its a windows server).

-Anupam