Fault type 11 - Abnormal Termination

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Fault type 11 - Abnormal Termination

Post by Xpert »

Hi all,

My few datastage jobs getting aborted due to the "Abnormal termination of stage J_NPL_Negotiation_Rates..Trans_CR_NCR_NPL detected".

My Job design is below.

Src Oracle -------> Transformer --------> Tgt Oracle
^
|
Lkp Oracle

Oracle version : 10.2.0.2.0

I had reset the job and found the below message.

From previous run
DataStage Job 159 Phantom 15517
Program "DSD.RUN": Line 2081, Variable previously undefined. Zero length string used.
Program "DSD.RUN": Line 2081, Variable previously undefined. Zero length string used.
jobnotify: Unknown error 911
DataStage Phantom Finished.
[15523] DSD.StageRun J_Stg_Owe_IBalance_R00. J_Stg_Owe_IBalance_R00.Trans_Ibalance 1 0/50/1 - terminated.

From previous run
DataStage Job 159 Phantom 15523
Abnormal termination of DataStage.
Fault type is 11. Layer type is BASIC run machine.
Fault occurred in BASIC program JOB.534367171.DT.150494518.TRANS1 at address 190.

Please help me out in this.

Thanks in advance.
With regards,
Xpert
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

A search here for "Fault type is 11. Layer type is BASIC run machine." should help as you're not the first to see an issue like this. Also, to help narrow down the culprit, find the file noted in your error message and post the code from around the line it mentioned.

Since your job number is 159, there will be a RT_BP159 directory in your project containing generated code for each active stage in the job. View the "JOB.534367171.DT.150494518.TRANS1" file which holds the code for the first transformer and post the lines around line 190. Make sure you let us know which line is in fact line 190 as well.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xpert »

Hi Chulett,

The below line is the one i found in the file

Pin%%V11S3P4.Column%%12 = (' ')

Thanks in Advance.
With regards,
Xpert
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not line 190, it's address 0x190 in the object code. You need VLIST to determine which source statement this is.

However, if you tell us what stage types are on the other ends of the links connected to the Transformer stage we can probably take an educated guess where the error is coming from. My guess is a call to a "Put" or "Get" subroutine.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Xpert
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Xpert »

Hi Ray,

we are using oracle oci stage for source and target.
With regards,
Xpert
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

My bad on the address versus line thing. :(

Explosions like this with OCI involved are generally caused by bugs in the Oracle client, from what I've seen. I know, I know, hard to imagine saying "Oracle" and "bugs" in the same sentence, but it has been known to happen. On occassion. :wink:

Please post the exact versions of both the Oracle client you have installed on the DataStage server and of the source/target databases. That means all four digits, like 9.2.0.5 for example. And I'd also be curious what flavor of UNIX this is.

Edit: OK, I see you've already posted it as 10.2.0.2.0 - seems like too many digits to me, but what the hey. So can you verify that is correct and if it is the same for both the DataStage server and the Oracle databases?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Abnormal Terminations can occur when you do math on NULL values. A reference lookup can introduce NULL values on non-found lookup rows. Look at your expressions in column derivations and constraints and make sure you do NULL handling.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Abnormal terminations can even be caused by simple things, like the connection name not being in tnsnames.ora. That's why we need to know more about the job design.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.