Help on implementing SOA using v8

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

jose.arunbabu
Participant

Help on implementing SOA using v8

Post by jose.arunbabu »

We were trying to implement soa. We followed the IBM redbooks and were able to deploy the job on information server.

1. We do not know how to implement further steps like how could we make service consumers able to find our published job.

2. Also we would like to know what are the procedure for making datastage jobs a service consumer.

3. Final Question what are componets we should use to implement SOA(particularly Enterprise service Bus(ESB).. is ESB a necessary part).

We are trying use iformation server as much as possible.Any help will be appreciated.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Hi Jose....

This could be a long subject...... ; ) lots of info to cover.... let's start with Info Server.... I will assume that you are using ISD, or Information Services Director, and that you used the Information Server Console to set up and "deploy" your application (take a look at my blog below and find the entry on shortcuts for this GUI --- it will make learning it a bit easier).

Once deployed, it depends on the binding that you chose as to how to find it and use it. Assuming you chose SOAP over HTTP, then you need to get the WSDL (Web Services Description Language) document from the registry.

Sign onto the Information Server Web Console and select the Information Services Catalog tab. Find "manage deployed services"...and then your new service, and then bindings and then the option for SOAP over HTTP....you should see a link for your WSDL.

Now what? --- you need a consumer. DataStage with the Web Services Pack can be a consumer, but it's not the easiest. Do yourself a favor and get something to test your SOAP based web services. I like SOAPscope myself (www.mindreef.com) but there are many others, many for free even.

That's for starters.......good luck and keep us posted!

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
jose.arunbabu
Participant

Post by jose.arunbabu »

Hi Ernie ,

Thanks for ur reply. Using information server console and IS Webconsole i was able to deploy as u said in ur reply. We are actually stuck with the 2nd and 3rd points i mentioned in the original post.

I would like to know more is the use of Enterprise Service Bus in Datastge SOA implemetation scenario. If u could please explain in details about enterprise service bus components that a datastage developer should be aware of.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

ESB is, in this context, a very generic term. It usually refers to an infrastructure that becomes the central "hub" for SOA deployment within an organization. There are ESB infrastructures that you can "buy" such as those offered by IBM, Tibco, Sonic, etc., but they are less pure products as they are overall strategies that include software, procedures, and best practices. Think of the ESB generically as a vehicle for sharing services throughout the organization, where those services do everything from purely provide data and data integration functions (DataStage and ISD), thru partner activities, employee functions, transaction activity, portals, etc. Information Server and ISD are not an ESB...but are certainly important players in such a strategy.

That's just a tiny drop in the bucket. There are thousands of discussions on this topic on the web. For our purposes here, think of ISD as a "cooperative participant" in any ESB strategy.

Keep in mind during your research that an ESB is not a "requirement" to being successful with SOA.....depending on your organization size and deliverables, it may not be a necessary objective.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
jose.arunbabu
Participant

Post by jose.arunbabu »

Thanks for the reply.