is the any possible of passing parameter value

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Tej
Participant

is the any possible of passing parameter value

Post by Tej »

Hi,

can any one help me in the below concern issue,
is there any possible of passing parameter value from one job to another from sequencer level or other way.

please help!!!

Thanks in advance!!!
kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

what are you trying to achieve? It is possible but after reading your requirements...
Kandy
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

You need to be more specific. Sequence jobs easily handle parameters across multiple objects, jobs included. Other ways exist. What are you trying to accomplish and what specific issue are you having?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Tej
Participant

Post by Tej »

can i pass the paremeter value from one to the other in the sequencer
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

No, but you can pass a parameter value from one activity to another in a job sequence. (A sequencer is a component that may occur IN a job sequence.)

If this is a top level parameter - that is, a parameter of the job sequence itself - then it's immediately available through the "add parameter" wizard.

If a value is to be generated in an upstream activity to be used in a downstream activity, then you need to make that value available for retrieval, for example as the user status of a job, the return value from a routine, and so on.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

As noted, if you've got the parameter in the Sequence to pass to the first activity, simply pass that same parameter to any other activity as well.
-craig

kandyshandy
Participant

Post by kandyshandy »

I guess Tej's scenario is like this...

First job activity outputs something which should be passed as a parameter to the second job activity.

Tej, you need to be more clear in asking questions here.. otherwise our answers will be unclear too. Tell us what you are trying to do exactly and then you will get right answers.
Kandy

Post by mk_ds09 »

Tej..

are you trying to say that you want ot pass the values from one sequencer to other sequencer..

if the value are static one..then you can create a file which can be read by the both of the jobs and then these values can be used..

if the second sequncer is using the values that are depenedent on the first one..then you need to create the parametr file in the first sequence ..and then these values can be used in the second sequence..!

this is one of the scenario...

if you want ot have the values in the just one sequence ..then pass all the parameters to the sequence..and these values can be used by all the jobs within the sequence..

-------------------

one more thing..that most of the people already told..
if you need some help on some of the topic..try to understand the people who are reading the posts not at all related to your requirement..
read the post again form the user point of view...
try to put maximum details..so that other person can understand and can reply on that..

-----------------------

hope this helps ..

--------------
MK
shamshad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shamshad »

I assume what Tej needs has been already answered by MK.

If you are processing some logic in the first Sequence/Job and the result of the first Sequence needs to be passed to the Second Sequence, then store all the parameter name and value pair from the First Sequence in a sequential file. Then in the second Master Sequence read those parameters and its values.

If you are executing your DS job via UNIX Shell Script then in the UNIX script of the second master sequence you can read the sequential file (that was created)

Below is an example

(1) Content of the parameter file that was created from First Seuence
xx_tddbname=TACOM_DATA
xx_tstgname=TACOM_STAGING_DATA
xx_tlogname=TACOM_SUPT_DATA

(2) Now read the above file and pass these 3 parameter in Second Seq.

#!/bin/sh
. /company/proj/Ascential/Projects/TACOM_DEV/paramfiles/paramfiles.txt
# DataStage Parameter Processing:
cd $DSHOME
cd `cat /.dshome`
. ./dsenv
bin/dsjob -run -mode NORMAL \
-param 'tddbname'=$xx_tddbname \
-param 'tstgname'=$xx_tstgname \
-param 'tlogname'=$xx_tlogname \

(You can see the value of the parameter file are being passed to the Second Master Sequence)
Datawarehouse Consultant
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

shamshad wrote:I assume what Tej needs has been already answered by MK.
I would make no such assumption, especially considering the questions asked so far and the shear amount of guessing going on in what is being posted. :?
-craig

shamshad
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shamshad »

chulett wrote:
shamshad wrote:I assume what Tej needs has been already answered by MK.
I would make no such assumption, especially considering the questions asked so far and the shear amount of guessing going on in what is being posted. :?

When the question is not very clear and we sort of know what he means I guess we can atleast write our responses and try our best to help unless the question is rephrased again :roll:
Datawarehouse Consultant