Infinite Loop in Webservices Pack

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Infinite Loop in Webservices Pack

Post by Raamc »

Hi,

I have a requirement to wait my job in infinite loop until it gets a XML from some other system. Once it gets the XML, it has to process that XML and start other jobs.

I came to know that we can do with Webservices in Datastage but my concern is " IS WEBSERVICES JOB WILL WAIT IN INFINITE LOOP UNTIL IT GET A RESPONSE FROM SOURCE SYSTEMS"
Thanks,
Raamc
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Short answer is "yes". And there's no need to shout.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

Can you define what you mean by an infinite loop here? .....just "waiting" is not an infinite loop.....your HTTP session might time out if you will be waiting on the remote service to be ready, but DS will "sit there" until it gets a response............but that's a bit different from invoking the service, getting back an immediate response that says "your XML document is not ready" and then issuing the call again................

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Now we start getting into the long answer. :wink:

It all comes down to what "waiting for XML from some other system" means. A file? A call to a service?
-craig

Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raamc »

Thanks for the responses.

It is a file from source system.

The XML will be FTPed to staging server as a file.

My requirement is : If the file is ready on source system, then it will generate a XML saying file is ready to FTP and that XML will be sent to Datastage as FILE.
Datastage has to receive that file and validate the XML and get the file from source system. But my bussiness is not sure when the source system will send that XML. It may be any day in a month.
Thanks,
Raamc
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Then you don't need RTI or a service, unless your sender is willing to ping the service when they deliver the file. All you need is a polling process, one that kicks off the job when the file arrives.

How tightly wound does this need to be? Can you check once a day over the course of the month or does it need to process it "ASAP"?
-craig

Raamc
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Raamc »

Thanks Chulett,

For Designing the Polling process job we dont need RTI or webservices pack in Datastage?

Files will be arrive one day in a month (We dont know which day it should be). When the files are ready on source system then Datastage has to get the file ASAP else file will be deleted (automatically) from source system.
Thanks,
Raamc
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Raamc wrote:For Designing the Polling process job we dont need RTI or webservices pack in Datastage?
No. Polling for files has been around a heck of a lot longer than web services.

So, there's no actual "arrival"? Meaning, they are not sent to you but rather you need to poll a remote system for their generation and when they are built you need to transfer them? That will complicate things slightly if that's the case. A couple of other questions:

How quickly will the files be deleted from the source system? Seems a little ridiculous that you'd need to get them ASAP or else they might already be gone.

How will you know when the files have been completely generated? If they are large or take some time to be written, just because you can see the file doesn't mean it's ready for you to transfer.
-craig