Unable to login

Post questions here relative to DataStage Enterprise/PX Edition for such areas as Parallel job design, Parallel datasets, BuildOps, Wrappers, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srividya
Participant

Unable to login

Post by srividya »

Hi

We have got a strange issue on one of our DataStage environments

We have got a team at offshore which can not access DataStage from their boxes. They can access the UNIX box on which the DataStage is installed, the DataBase ...everything on that box except for DataStage.

I am working in a different location then that team ...and i can connect to the datastage without any issues.

Can anyone shed some light on why this can happen

Tried search .. but was not successful :( . Please give me the link if there was a discussion on this before.. would appreciate it

Thanks a lot
Srividya
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

How is this connection established? Is it a client directly on the offshore machine, or using Citrix or some other tunnelling protocol?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
dsusr
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsusr »

Provide some more information like

What is the error your offshore team is getting while trying to login on DataStage ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Where is "offshore" from Hyderabad?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Have they got the DataStage server in their hosts file? Can they ping it? Have they tried the server name and the IP address? Are they using the right user name and password? Have they got the right client software version? Are they using multi client manager?
srividya
Participant

Post by srividya »

Hi all ...

Thanks for the response

The error we get is "Failed to connect to Host", the same one we get when a wrong password or server name is given. They are right and the same can be used to connect from Onsite

We connect to the environment using a citrix connection. The client is installed in our local machines, but the ports that connect to the server machines are opened only when we have a citrix connection established.

Yea ...and the offhore team is in hyderabad ...

Thanks
Srividya
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Hi,

Shot in the dark but I have seen this happen many times. Datastage can only accept an 8 digit password. Unix will accept greater than an 8 digit password. Your putty sessions are gold but you can't login with Datastage. You have to change the password to 8 characters or less.

... Flash
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'm currenly successfully using a twelve character password over Citrix (DataStage 7.5.1).
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The DataStage connectivity happens between the citrix machine and the DataStage server. The only thing being passed between the user and Citrix is screen images. Are you connecting yourself directly to DataStage or via Citrix? Have you confirmed the Citrix user account is correct? Has the right hosts file? Can ping?
flashgordon
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by flashgordon »

Ray,

You must have run into that password thing before. What am I thinking of? There was definitely some password that Datastage <=7.x didn't like being more than 8 characters. Maybe I'm thinking of Oracle passwords. I know there were some characters in Oracle passwords that weren't allowed by Datastage.

... Tom
Flash Gordon
Hyperborean Software Solution