Real-time processing

Dedicated to DataStage and DataStage TX editions featuring IBM<sup>®</sup> Service-Oriented Architectures.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm

dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Real-time processing

Post by dsscholar »

I have a requirement where I have to match the data from 2 different source systems and point out the "actual" mismatches. One of the sources is DB2 and the other one is IMS. The goal is to match the data from both the systems and ignore mismatches like following values for telephone numbers 860-888-8888 and 1-860-888-8888 and report when there are actual mismatches e.g. 888-888-8888 and 888-353-8783. Business users want to have a user interface where they can supply the parameters on which they want to retrieve the data and get the reports with the mismatches and they want to do this real-time without storing this information in a d/b. Is it possible to achieve this using various tools in Information server ?

Thanks !
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Yes, and this is the right forum to ask. Using the SOA components you can publish a DataStage job as a web service that the other tools can invoke. Only a small amount of extra work (adding RTI Input and RTI Output stages) is required to make your job "RTI aware").

RTI = "real time interface" is the superseded name for SOA ("service oriented architecture").
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The most elegant way to handle this is to figure out a job that would have the "parameters" from the (eventual) users supplied as a primary source for the job --- like a row from a test flat file or rdbms..... then doing lookups, etc. as needed against the other systems. A key question in this case will be how you are getting over to IMS...if you have a SQL gateway of some kind in place, then lookups might be possible to assist here. Once that is working, making it available to a user interface via web services is a snap.

Another way to handle it would be as a more pure "batch" real time pattern, where a parameter driven DataStage job is "executed" on request from the ultimate user (at a portal or other front end)....in that case the IMS structure or DB2 could be the source, and some type of lookup or join or other stage type would be utilized.

There are pros and cons to each pattern; both are enabled by RTI (7.5) or WISD/ISD (v8) [both are effectively the same techology under the covers].

An initial key will be determing the best way to accomplish your comparison between the two file systems.....either directly with SQL access or in various steps if extracts will be required from your mainframe system(s).

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsscholar »

Thanks for the response !

I have never worked on RTI and MVS Edition of DataStage, have been exposed to Server and EE. I have been reading the posts here to get an idea how RTI and MVS work.

I think pulling the IMS data using MVS Edition and DB2 data using EE and then comparing both using DataStage/Quality Stage should accomplish the task. Is it possible to integrate all of this together and publish as a web service using RTI ?

Any response would be much appreciated !!
lstsaur
Participant

Post by lstsaur »

For QualityStage Version 7.5, it's not possible to be integrated with RTI.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

The MVS Edition piece makes things a bit of a quandary.... RTI and WISD work with Enterprise Edition and it's implementations on open systems....windows/linux/unix..... (including z/linux, if things have to be kept on the mainframe) MVS Edition is zOS only, as it is a COBOL code generator, and it is not integrated with either QualityStage or RTI/WISD.

As noted in my entry above, accessing IMS for use via RTI/WISD and EE (or QualityStage v8) will require a SQL gateway of some type, of which Classic Federation is good example.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
<a href="https://dsrealtime.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... ere/">Open IGC is Here!</a>
dsscholar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsscholar »

eostic wrote:The MVS Edition piece makes things a bit of a quandary.... RTI and WISD work with Enterprise Edition and it's implementations on open systems....windows/linux/unix..... (including z/linux, if things have to be kept on the mainframe) MVS Edition is zOS only, as it is a COBOL code generator, and it is not integrated with either QualityStage or RTI/WISD.

As noted in my entry above, accessing IMS for use via RTI/WISD and EE (or QualityStage v8) will require a SQL gateway of some type, of which Classic Federation is good example.

Ernie
Thanks Ernie !!
After Classic Federation is installed by the DS Admin, would there be any stage through which we can extract data from IMS or we would be able to connect to IMS through the ODBC Stage itself ? Please bear my ignorance, I just want to get an understanding of how it would work.
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

I'm fairly certain that we productized a "Classic Federation Stage," but under the covers it uses ODBC....so either would work, assuming you have access to both, that the Classic Fed configuration is set up and working, and tha the ODBC driver is all set up and configured correctly and working, etc.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
shin0066
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shin0066 »

ray.wurlod wrote:Yes, and this is the right forum to ask. Using the SOA components you can publish a DataStage job as a web service that the other tools can invoke. Only a small amount of extra work (adding RTI Input and RTI Output stages) is required to make your job "RTI aware").

RTI = "real time interface" is the superseded name for SOA ("service oriented architecture").
Hi Ray,
You Mentioned "Using SOA Components you can publish DataStage Job as a web service" - is there any documentation which i can use for referrence- it is interesting topic.

Is RTI and WebService is same?

Thanks,
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

RTI (for 7.x datastage) is the tool that allows you to publish DataStage jobs "as" a Web Service...

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
shin0066
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by shin0066 »

Hi eostic,

so RTI and WebServices are different? the reason i am asking is - recently i installed WebServices package on DS 7.5.2 where we have XML Input, XML Output and Webservices transformer stage.. How this is different from RTI?

If we want to RTI - i think we need to pay extra license cost is it?
Also in DS 8.0 does it come with as bundle?

Any info appreciated!
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

the question is: Are RTI and Web Services different?

Let me clarify it this way.... RTI and "Web Services Pack" (the Web Services "stages") are different. In a way, they are opposites. RTI (and WISD in v8) allow you to publish DataStage Jobs as Web Services (among other binding types), and the Web Services Stages (WSTransformer and WSClient, part of what in 7.5 was called "Web Services Pack") allow DataStage Jobs to "invoke" or "call" Web Services. Said another way, RTI allows DataStage to be a Service Provider --- Web Services Pack allows DataStage to be a SOAP client.

RTI and WISD are additional cost items.

Web Services Pack is a separate install in v7, bundled in v8, and no cost in either.

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

Ernie - thank you for the information, it is very helpful. This is my first attempt into the RTI/Web Services world. There doesn't seem to be very much documentation around.

I didn't do the installation here so I don't know exactly what I have other than EE 7.5.2. I see the RTI Input and RTI Output stages on my pallette, but nothing called WSTransformer or WSClient. I suspect that means that I have the RTI installed but not the Web Services Pack. Is that right?
Thanks again,
John
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Yup. Have fun John! :P
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
eostic
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by eostic »

.....in 7.5, the Web Services stages were separate...they'll have to be obtained from IBM or whoever provides your service......it's free, but you have to find it, download it, and install it separately...

Ernie
Ernie Ostic

blogit!